GPSMAP 67: real battery life, charge times

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
crazeeRunner

GPSMAP 67: real battery life, charge times

Unread post by crazeeRunner »

I am an ultra runner and some upcoming races require a dedicated handheld GPS unit with physical buttons capable of being operated in threatening weather. Usually I am happy with my Garmin Fenix 6x + phone, but for races like the Winter spine in the UK one can expect storm force winds, pouring rain, blinding snow etc. The GPSMAp looks like the top contender but I have a few questions before I buy.

1) How good is the battery life in real-world usage. I know it is good, but often the tests are just leaving the unit on a window-sill for a few days, without using the screen to navigate. And most tests are in warm summer conditions. What is is like at -10C/15F ?

2) Similarly, what is the charge time, both 0-100 and say 20-80% which can often be half the time of the full charge.

3) I have never used a dedicated GPS unit for navigation so I am hoping it can make things much easier when completely sleep deprived (120 hours in to a race with only 6 hours sleep, zombie march at 2am). Can the 67 load a long route (e.g. 300 miles/450km), and then I can set to follow the route which is clearly visible on the screen, AND get audible alerts when I go off-route by more than say 20-40m/50ft?

The way these races work is usually you can get to a life base with an area to eat+sleep and sometimes recharge electronics every 24-36 hours. So I need the device to easily last this long even in demanding conditions, and also cope if for some reason I cannot charge at a life base and I have to wait in total 48-70 hours. It then needs to recharge in 1 to 3 hours and be ready to go for the next stage.

On paper the 67 seems like it will do it. Start a race at 100% charge and top of every opportunity. But some people have warned me against the 67 with a fixed battery and suggested a model 65 and a stack of lithium AAs.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 67: real battery life, charge times

Unread post by GPSrChive »

crazeeRunner wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:00 pm But some people have warned me against the 67 with a fixed battery and suggested a model 65 and a stack of lithium AAs.
Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm now almost certain the reason the dinosaurs died off and went extinct is because they refused to adopt and accept superior battery technology....
crazeeRunner

Unread post by crazeeRunner »

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:36 pm
crazeeRunner wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:00 pm But some people have warned me against the 67 with a fixed battery and suggested a model 65 and a stack of lithium AAs.
Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm now almost certain the reason the dinosaurs died off and went extinct is because they refused to adopt and accept superior battery technology....
LOL.
It comes from a safety concern. This is for the Winter Spine race in the UK, 16 hours darkness gale force wind , driving rain and not being able to see your feet in blasting snow or thick fog. GPS navigation is then critical for safety. This is why a handheld GPS is required as well as a map + compass + phone. I think the race organizers had experience of people with a 66i/sr have difficulties getting their devices properly charged.

But i think the GPSMAP 67 is a game changer because the battery life is so long. Even if it is only 100 hour in temperature below freezing , and there is a 6 hour charge time, I still think there would be enough occasions to charge up .
Also, when battery gets low it will be possible to switch the device of and just switch on again at junctions or now and then to verify position. I heard the 67 is much faster to get a fix and display a map, which helps . Often in these races the next 2-3 hours of hiking is clear, 6000ft climb up to a mountain pass, or 7 miles on this single track to the next junction.

I will probably order tomorrow unless someone has some good reasons why it wont work.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

It sounds as if you may be pushing the GPSMAP 67 to greater extremes than most users.

I do hope you will share your experience once you have tested it!

Return to “GPSMAP 67”