GPSMAP 65s map memory

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
ivhs72

GPSMAP 65s map memory

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I looked at the directory on the 65s today, and it has a total of 14.4gb free. I also noticed that only 3.4gb was free and available for storage. It appears that the Topoactive maps take up most of the memory space on it. It looks like the maps are divided into 4 separate files. There are also some maps listed on the setup that I'm not familiar with, a Garmin DEM Map North America, a Garmin DEM Map South America, a Garmin Public Land Map, and a Digital Globe Map. That is different from the 64sx that I have, which only has 8gb total memory and I don't recall seeing those maps on it.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 65s map memory

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Do you have a specific question about any of those maps?
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:21 pm Do you have a specific question about any of those maps?
I was just curious what they were for. They weren't on the 64sx, even though it has Topoactive. I thought there might be some improvement when they increased the memory on the 65s.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ivhs72 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:38 pm I was just curious what they were for.
They have been including additional information with recent TopoActive map product releases.
  • Garmin DEM Map North America Map: Digital Elevation Model for North America.
  • Garmin DEM Map South America Map: Digital Elevation Model for South America.
  • Garmin Public Land Map: New! Provides color coded public land management boundary information in the USA.
  • Digital Globe Map: 'Demo Map' found on just about every Garmin product that supports BirdsEye mapping.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

ivhs72 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:38 pm They weren't on the 64sx, even though it has Topoactive.
Likely do to either (A) space constraints, or (B) they have not yet been updated to include the additional map data (and may not be).

Return to “GPSMAP 65”