Not happy with how Garmin is dealing with the USB problems

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex 22x, 32x GPSr
asprin624

Not happy with how Garmin is dealing with the USB problems

Unread post by asprin624 »

I have been going back and forth with Garmin to get the USB problem fixed and only get a run around over the eTrex 22x
There is a big problem ejecting the eTrex 22x from and Windows 10 PC or Laptop. You can not have any PC or Laptop freeze up when trying to eject the eTrex 22x from it. Having to pull the cable out each time to get full control of my laptop is not acceptable!!!!!!!. It should work just like any of my other Garmin GPS units. Then they want me to give them advice as to how to fix this problem. Garmin you made the problem you should fix it not me. I have never heard such an explanation why disconnecting this Garmin eTrex 22x from a Laptop, because it has TopoActive map updates. I have other Garmin GPS units that get map updated and they all work with no problems at all. Never freezing the Laptop when I go to eject it from the USB port. At this point I am very sorry I even bought the eTrex 22x for my wife. The fact Garmin can not even admit there is a problem with the eTrex 22x is deplorable. A company like Garmin should deal with problems and not give ridiculous and absurd answers to a problem. I will think very hard before I even buy another Garmin unit in the future.

I quote them:
Garmin Product Support wrote:
"The altering of the unit by removing the pre-installed mapping will not "fix" anything but may cause additional issues with the Etrex 22x and or 32x family of Etrex units. As I explained before, the 32x and 22x series Etrex units are the only units in the Etrex line up that include Preloaded Topo active mapping that can be updated by using the Garmin Express program.

The series is Programmed to communicate that functionality to the computer when connected to a computer to inform the computer and any Garmin software that may be installed onto that computer to identify that the unit is not just a flash drive but includes the ability to have preloaded mapping updated by Garmin application.

The system files that are written to the unit's information code cannot be changed and cannot be disabled even if you manipulate the units system or remove what mapping the unit had installed from the factory. The newer Etrex series will continue to communicate to the computer as a Garmin unit that has the update-able mapping option available.

If you would like to use your years of experience in IT to outline the issues of what you would like corrected when plugging in the Etrex 22x to a USB 2.0 Port of a PC, please reply with what specifically you would like to have addressed and have corrected so I may pass this information on for you.

I will look for ward to your reply and outlined request.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

Robert
Product Support
Garmin International"
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Not happy with how Garmin is dealing with the USB problems

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Please forward the actual email from Garmin to webmaster@GPSrChive.com
asprin624

OK I sent the complete back and forth with Garmin Support.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

There is a real issue with eTrex x2x units not being able to disconnect or eject from USB, and it seems quite clear this Garmin Support team member is not aware of that issue.

I can assure you that the Garmin software team engineers are aware of the issue, and I have every reason to believe that a resolution will be forthcoming in due time.

While the interaction with Garmin support you shared above is unfortunate, I hope you will take solace in knowing that the proper personnel are working on a correction.
asprin624

I thank you for your efforts in regards to this problem.

Return to “eTrex x2x”