Problem with disconnect the eTrex 22x from the Windows 10 USB port

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex 22x, 32x GPSr
asprin624

Problem with disconnect the eTrex 22x from the Windows 10 USB port

Unread post by asprin624 »

Problem with disconnect the eTrex 22x from the Windows 10 USB port. (Both STD port or High speed port)
When I am finished add or removing any GPX files or just look at the files with the browser I always disconnect the Garmin form the USB port.
I click on the USB icon on the lower right-hand corner. If I pick the main unit first all goes OK.
You get the message you can remove the eTrex 22x. Now I always click to remove the SD card to from the USB port too.
Nothing happen I can click all I want and the USB window does not open.
If I try to shut the Laptop down it will not shutdown. You have to remove the USB cable from the Laptop and the eTrex 22x will shut down.
Plus the Laptop runs normal again. Have even tried disconnect the SD card first and then the eTrex 22x next again the same problems.
As I have many different Garmin GPS units none of these display this problem. My latest Garmin GPSMAP 66s always disconnects with no problems.
It does not matter which item I disconnect first. I pick the second Item the 66s after the first and it shuts down and I remove the USB cable.
I have tried many Garmin cables thinking maybe it is the cable but it does it with all the cables.
The eTrex 22x is up-to-date with everything. The unit works with no problems in the field.
Even tried different SD cards thinking maybe the problem is there. (It does not help at all)
Software version 2.50
Even replaced the Garmin USB drivers to see if that was the problem. (did not help)
I have sent this info to Garmin today.
This problem has been there since the first day I plugged the unit into the Laptop.
The eTrex 22x is a week old.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Problem with disconnect the eTrex 22x from the Windows 10 USB port

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you for the report!

We have tested this today with an eTrex 32x and experienced the same behavior.

Posted as GPSrChive > eTrex > eTrex x2x > Common Issues > Bug 4.
asprin624

The fact that my Laptop locks you every time I try to eject either the SD card first or the eTrex 22x first. I just close the Laptop down till some fix comes for this problem. Then I remove the USB cable from the Laptop and the Etrex 22x shuts down.
It is the long way around this problem but I do not need to have corrupted files on my eTrex 22x in the field and have the wife get "P.Oed." at me that files or missing or not working.

I have been looking at USB Disk Ejector v1.3.0.6 but have not tried it yet. It could causes problems with the unit. :roll:

So will wait to see what Garmin has to say about this problem........
sussamb

Unread post by sussamb »

On my Etrex I've never clicked to safe eject the card, neither have I done so on any of my On the road devices. I just eject the main unit. Never caused an issue.
asprin624

@sussamb,

But even if you do that the Laptop does not function at all. You can not shut down the Laptop nor try to do anything with it.
You gain full control of your Laptop once the USB cable is removed from it.
That is not good for any PC or Laptop. I have the latest update to Windows 10. Ejecting any item form a USB port should not affect the function of its operating system. As I said before none of my other Garmin Units have this problem or my memory sticks or external Hard Drive.
It might not have any effect on the eTrex 22x as you say to just eject the main unit and pull the cable out. But something else is going on that freezes the Laptop or PC. Memory is not being released for some reason.......
If you eject the eTrex 22x and the explorer will show it is there. With other USB items once you eject it it is gone not the eTrex 22x. You can not even click on the USB icon to see other items you might have attached.
Example my Backup Hard, everything is locked up. This is not correct and needs to be fixed ASAP from Garmin.
sussamb

Unread post by sussamb »

Ah OK, I missed that part of your issue as never experienced that with any of my devices.

Return to “eTrex x2x”