Beginner problem

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Beginner problem

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Unless they start hosting and exporting routes to your device, the tracks they share will have to be converted as you have learned to do.

And they are unlikely to do so, as tracks can consist of hundreds or thousands of track points to provide the necessary detail for the voyage, while routes are limited to 50 points for guided navigation on your device, which would not provide a very detailed 'picture' of the trip.
Philq

Unread post by Philq »

That's a real shame, I guess I'll be sending it back. I was hoping to be able to use this as a more "rugged" version of my Edge 800 for mountain biking. It seems crazy that there is that funcionality on a device that's now over 5 years old but won't work on this more modern, supposedly premium product..... unless I'm missing something?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I think I am missing something...

Routes are Routes, and Tracks are Tracks, regardless of the device or how old it is.

What functionality does the Edge 800 (a bicycling device) have that that you want on the GPSMAP 66 (an outdoor recreation device)?
Philq

Unread post by Philq »

In my ignorance I thought that the GPSMAP66 when navigating a route and using one of the three cycling options therein would operate in a similar way to the Edge 800. It doesn't seem to. Similarly the convenience of planning a route via Ridewithgps and easy upload to the Edge makes the necessity with the GPSMAP66 to amend things through basecamp seem incredibly clunky.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Philq wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:44 pm In my ignorance I thought that the GPSMAP66 when navigating a route and using one of the three cycling options therein would operate in a similar way to the Edge 800. It doesn't seem to.
This does not provide any detailed information that helps me help you....
Philq wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:44 pm Similarly the convenience of planning a route via Ridewithgps and easy upload to the Edge makes the necessity with the GPSMAP66 to amend things through basecamp seem incredibly clunky.
How do you load routes from RideWithGPS to your Edge 800?

How do you load them to the GPSMAP 66?

RideWithGPS seems to export routes, and these should work the same on your GPSMAP 66 as the Edge 800. A Route is a Route.

Have you tried the Connect IQ 'GRouteLoader' app?
Philq

Unread post by Philq »

RideWithGPS seems to export routes, and these should work the same on your GPSMAP 66 as the Edge 800. A Route is a Route.
That is the problem. I've used the Connect IQ app "routeCourse" to download Ridewithgps routes but they appear in the GPSMAP 66 as tracks.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Finally, we are getting somewhere.

We now have a very important bit of new information to help solve this puzzle!

If you are using the CIQ RouteCourse app to download routes to your GPSMAP 66, but they are appearing as tracks on the device, don't you think perhaps the issue is with the third party RouteCourse app?

When you use RouteCourse to download a route to your GPSMAP 66, does it not appear in the 'Route Planner' page?
Philq

Unread post by Philq »

Thanks again for persisting with this!

I've tried again with both the RouteCourse app and now with the GRouteLoader app and with both any route that I download appears as a track. The only routes that I've succesfully uploaded are ones that I've created or amended in basecamp. Even using a cable any non-basecamp file that I copy to the unit appears as a track.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Sounds like a problem with the download process.

If you were loading a route (vs a track) from their services, it would appear on the device as a route.

There is no function in the device software to display routes as tracks. If you only see tracks, then that is what is being loaded by the interface....

Can you email some of these files downloaded by the RouteCourse app and the GRouteLoader app to webmaster@gpsrchive.com for inspection?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for sending the downloaded file.

The file you sent is indeed not a route, but is a track, thus your GPSr can not use it as a route.

If you want guided routing, you have to download routes, not tracks.

Looking at some routes in RideWithGPS website (links you sent), I can see they are available fore export in many many formats, two of which are in *.gpx format, one being a route, the other being a track.

I suspect you are sending the track to your device instead of the route.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”