Zumo 595LM & BaseCamp Symbols

Discussion related to Garmin zūmo series GPSr models
Warrior

Zumo 595LM & BaseCamp Symbols

Unread post by Warrior »

Hello all,

Found your site as I was looking for help getting symbols from BC synchronized with my GPSr, very helpful info, thanks so much...

But I’m stuck with an issue I have seen several reports on other sites but can’t get help... I followed your procedure to synchronize GPSr with BC, prior to starting all I would get on the device is the dreaded blue flag symbol, now all I get on the device is a white heart in a square with a green background... I have factory reset the device twice, I have tried restores from Garmin backup and now I can’t seem to get, neither the existing BC symbols into the device or not even the blue flags back... Been dealing with this device for a while and getting really nowhere with it...

Please help, in advice thank you very much...!
sussamb

Re: Zumo 595LM & BaseCamp Symbols

Unread post by sussamb »

I'm afraid you're unable to sync BaseCamp symbols with the ones on your Zumo. Custom symbols can be used on most On the trail devices but On the road devices cannot use custom symbols for waypoints.

If you load POI files though custom symbols can be assigned to those, if that would help you?
Warrior

Unread post by Warrior »

sussamb wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:47 am I'm afraid you're unable to sync BaseCamp symbols with the ones on your Zumo. Custom symbols can be used on most On the trail devices but On the road devices cannot use custom symbols for waypoints.

If you load POI files though custom symbols can be assigned to those, if that would help you?
Thanks much for your reply... What about the procedure noted here:

https://www.gpsrchive.com/Shared/Custom ... mbols.html

It does not apply to this model? If that is the case, how do I get the device back to the way it was? Although the infamous Blue Flags are annoying, I think they are better than the icons with the green background I cannot shake off...

In essence what I want to do is use the basic icons that come with BC, which I believe are very similar to the ones on the device, though I can no longer see them for some strange reason, only the green ones. It is odd that you don't have access to standard ones since the device has high resolution capability, at least better than those green icons...

Thanks again for your help...
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Warrior wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:40 pm It does not apply to this model? If that is the case, how do I get the device back to the way it was? Although the infamous Blue Flags are annoying, I think they are better than the icons with the green background I cannot shake off...
Without knowing exactly what you have done to your Zumo, and not having one here to test with, all we can do is make guesses.

You may just need to remove all data you have added, reset, and then attempt to reinstall firmware. On the outdoor recreation devices, we can install a previous version firmware before installing the current version firmware to get them back to 'factory' setup.
Warrior

Unread post by Warrior »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:54 pm Without knowing exactly what you have done to your Zumo, and not having one here to test with, all we can do is make guesses.

You may just need to remove all data you have added, reset, and then attempt to reinstall firmware. On the outdoor recreation devices, we can install a previous version firmware before installing the current version firmware to get them back to 'factory' setup.
Basically I have gone into the GPX folder of the device and removed the contents. I have done the factory reset as described by Garmin website, twice, but doesn't seem to have done fully, so it seems, the MAP is still current and once it powered on after reset, there was only one update to software version 4.60...

How would I roll back the firmware, is it done via Express?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Has the 4.60 update occurred yet? If not, do that.
Warrior

Unread post by Warrior »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:33 pm Has the 4.60 update occurred yet? If not, do that.
Yes, the device is at 4.60 right now...
GPSrChive
Site Admin

So, since the lat reset, the device has had a firmware update via Garmin Express?

May be that the 'new' symbols you are seeing on the device are part of that update?

If you only tampered with files in the GPX directory on the Zumo, you could not have affected any of those waypoint symbols on the device.

You may have to post screen captures from the device if you feel something is still wrong, so that we can better understand what you are seeing.
Warrior

Unread post by Warrior »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:12 pm So, since the lat reset, the device has had a firmware update via Garmin Express?

May be that the 'new' symbols you are seeing on the device are part of that update?

If you only tampered with files in the GPX directory on the Zumo, you could not have affected any of those waypoint symbols on the device.

You may have to post screen captures from the device if you feel something is still wrong, so that we can better understand what you are seeing.
Yes, if 4.6 is the firmware, yes, it was done via Garmin Express, which calls it Software Version, a bit confusing if you tel me as firmware is more of an update to hardware and not so much "Software"... If you compare it to the firmware on the BIOS of PC (Firmware) vs Windows (Software), anyway, moving away from the topic, sorry, lol...

Attached is a screenshot of my device screen, those are the only option I have on graphics, before I would get Blue Flag, at one point I changed the symbol from my home to one of the green ones to see how it would look on BC, now that green symbol seems to be the new "Blue Flag"...

EDIT: ON the second attachment you can see a screenshot, from the internet, of a 595lm, you can clearly see that there are restaurant symbols shown. I have never been able to see those on the device, before the green symbols there were always the Blue Flags instead...

Thanks...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

can you please send a copy of your GarminDevice.xml file from the Zumo to webmaster@gpsrchive.com

Return to “zūmo”