Zumo 595LM & BaseCamp Symbols

Discussion related to Garmin zūmo series GPSr models
Warrior

Re: Zumo 595LM & BaseCamp Symbols

Unread post by Warrior »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:54 pm can you please send a copy of your GarminDevice.xml file from the Zumo to webmaster@gpsrchive.com
Done...
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The GarminDevice.xml looks OK, I am working on sourcing a copy of the previous firmware so you can install it and see what changes...
Warrior

Unread post by Warrior »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:56 pm The GarminDevice.xml looks OK, I am working on sourcing a copy of the previous firmware so you can install it and see what changes...
Excellent, great to hear I didn't mess it up too bad... I've also ready that file can be delete and it will self re-create. I create a small route from the device's trip planer and now connected the device to the PC and looking at it from BD, I see the starting point as a blue flag named "001", which is a gas station, the final destination shows as a checkered flag, also a gas station. The route itself shows ok, apparently... While I was creating the route, the symbols looked like gas stations...

Disconnected device, looked at the map, starting point looks like a green flag (the type that looks like the blue flag) and destination as a checkered flag, from an 8mi zoom... Zoomed in as full close, 50ft, still shows as green flag, detail is set to "More" on device. Same on the destination flag...

From a $700+ device, I expect to see recognizable symbols, dunno about you, lol... Maybe it changes once you start the trip? I started the trip, in simulation mode and it seems to be the case...

So I guess the green icons (square with white center graphics) are when I tried to change one from a route created in BC, on the device, the only options to change to are those green ones... I still think I should be able to see the same symbols that are displayed on the map.

Now, whatever you set on the device as far as symbols, they are not recognized on BC and whatever you set on BC its not recognized on the device. I find that absolutely incredible, specially for a $700+ device, being that both products are Gamin products... There should be a folder on both products with the symbols, don't understand why they make it so difficult, TONS of people beating their heads over this, I have been looking for a solution for a LONG time, I have yet to use this device on my motorcycle because of it, as a matter of fact I transferred the device from a previous bike even, lol...

This site, claims their software can add and remove symbols from the device with ease, have you seen it?:

https://www.expertgps.com/gps-receivers ... -595LM.asp

There is even a display of all these symbols: Image

With the caption ExpertGPS waypoint symbols for Garmin zumo 595LM, if the device could hold 1000 waypoints, can't understand why you would not be able to assign a simple symbol to it.

Anyway, thought I add my findings so far, your input and help is very much appreciated...
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Warrior wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:04 pm I create a small route from the device's trip planer and now connected the device to the PC and looking at it from BD, I see the starting point as a blue flag named "001", which is a gas station, the final destination shows as a checkered flag, also a gas station. The route itself shows ok, apparently... While I was creating the route, the symbols looked like gas stations...

Disconnected device, looked at the map, starting point looks like a green flag (the type that looks like the blue flag) and destination as a checkered flag, from an 8mi zoom... Zoomed in as full close, 50ft, still shows as green flag, detail is set to "More" on device. Same on the destination flag...
Please post images of what you are seeing in this description...
GPSrChive
Site Admin

1. Please download the previous firmware v440 for your zumo 595 here.

2. Connect your zumo to your computer and enable viewing of hidden folders and files if not already configured.

3. Unzip the archive and copy the *.gcd file to your zumo:\.System\ directory. (this is a hidden directory)

4. You should also see a gupdate.gcd file in this directory, delete this file.

5. Now rename the *.gcd file you downloaded and copied over to gupdate.gcd.

6. Disconnect and restart the zumo.

7. The zumo should install the older firmware and reboot.

8. Test the zumo operation compared to what you were experiencing before, and report here.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Warrior wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:04 pm
I create a small route from the device's trip planer and now connected the device to the PC and looking at it from BD, I see the starting point as a blue flag named "001", which is a gas station, the final destination shows as a checkered flag, also a gas station. The route itself shows ok, apparently... While I was creating the route, the symbols looked like gas stations...

Trying to wrap my head around exactly what you are doing and seeing without actually being there.

I can tell you most, if not all Garmin GPSr will use a green flag to indicate the start of a route and a checkered flag to indicate the finish of a route, similar to the flag colors used at any racetrack anywhere in the world. Green means 'Go' and checkered means 'Finish'.

If you are creating a route from one fuel station to another (sounds like this is the case), the route will still display with the green and checkered flags for the start and finish of the route, which will be at the same locations as the fuel stations you chose for the start and finish of the route.

When you are working with the route, or viewing the route, or navigating the route, on the device, and the route is in focus, the green and checkered flags will show at the start and finish points, placed over any existing 'map points' (the fuel stations) because the 'Route' has focus.

I have examined the internal workings for the Zumo 595 firmware and have found more than 3000 individual images used for system art, icons and waypoints, etc.

The waypoint symbols you suggest are not available to you are in the firmware, and should be available when marking a waypoint. Have you tried to mark a waypoint and then change the waypoint symbol? What symbols are available?
Warrior

Unread post by Warrior »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:38 am
Trying to wrap my head around exactly what you are doing and seeing without actually being there.

I can tell you most, if not all Garmin GPSr will use a green flag to indicate the start of a route and a checkered flag to indicate the finish of a route, similar to the flag colors used at any racetrack anywhere in the world. Green means 'Go' and checkered means 'Finish'.

If you are creating a route from one fuel station to another (sounds like this is the case), the route will still display with the green and checkered flags for the start and finish of the route, which will be at the same locations as the fuel stations you chose for the start and finish of the route.

When you are working with the route, or viewing the route, or navigating the route, on the device, and the route is in focus, the green and checkered flags will show at the start and finish points, placed over any existing 'map points' (the fuel stations) because the 'Route' has focus.

I have examined the internal workings for the Zumo 595 firmware and have found more than 3000 individual images used for system art, icons and waypoints, etc.

The waypoint symbols you suggest are not available to you are in the firmware, and should be available when marking a waypoint. Have you tried to mark a waypoint and then change the waypoint symbol? What symbols are available?
Attached please find a Word .doc with the step by step process I took with screenshots. If you need me to post it directly not in a word doc, please let me know...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Fantastic!

Excellent presentation.

I see exactly what you are saying now, and I have again searched through all 3000+ symbols in the Zumo 595 firmware to verify that these symbols are indeed present!

I can only assume, that since the zumo is an automotive unit, and BaseCamp was originally designed for outdoor recreation units (yes, riding your bike is outdoor recreation...), that their is some 'conversion' that breaks this.

My question now is, if you open any of those waypoints that turned into flags on the zumo, can you edit them to show the correct symbol on the zumo?
Warrior

Unread post by Warrior »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:02 am 1. Please download the previous firmware v440 for your zumo 595 here.

2. Connect your zumo to your computer and enable viewing of hidden folders and files if not already configured.

3. Unzip the archive and copy the *.gcd file to your zumo:\.System\ directory. (this is a hidden directory)

4. You should also see a gupdate.gcd file in this directory, delete this file.

5. Now rename the *.gcd file you downloaded and copied over to gupdate.gcd.

6. Disconnect and restart the zumo.

7. The zumo should install the older firmware and reboot.

8. Test the zumo operation compared to what you were experiencing before, and report here.
I have not done this yet until we decide its needed, but in the meantime I downloaded the file just in case. But your link above is for the "Zumo 595 440.gcd", not an archive, I tried to open it with 7-Zip anyway, as some files are archived but with non-standard extensions, but it reported it was not an archive. Another observation, I do have hidden files and folders enabled, but the ".System" directory does not exist... But again, we'll revisit this if needed.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Oh yeah, I forgot to zip it! (corrected now)

If you enter ".System' in the windows explorer address bar for your Zumo, I think you will find the directory!

One more question, which version of BaseCamp are you using? On what OS?

Return to “zūmo”