Zumo 595LM & BaseCamp Symbols

Discussion related to Garmin zūmo series GPSr models
Warrior

Re: Zumo 595LM & BaseCamp Symbols

Unread post by Warrior »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:40 pm Fantastic!

Excellent presentation.

I see exactly what you are saying now, and I have again searched through all 3000+ symbols in the Zumo 595 firmware to verify that these symbols are indeed present!

I can only assume, that since the zumo is an automotive unit, and BaseCamp was originally designed for outdoor recreation units (yes, riding your bike is outdoor recreation...), that their is some 'conversion' that breaks this.

My question now is, if you open any of those waypoints that turned into flags on the zumo, can you edit them to show the correct symbol on the zumo?
Thanks Much, I guess it helps to have an IT background, lol... It is weird though that after all these years they have had BaseCamp out they have not made updates and fixes for this... If for the moment that is the way it is, I guess we have no choice, but that is harsh for a $700+ GPS that can only display those ugly symbols...

I tried to change one of the flags as you suggested, but the only choice I have for a replacement are those 46 square green background symbols with the white image... Also, did you notice in one of the maps on the zumo it shows both he green square and the flags? This is insane...
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

While I do not have a zumo here for testing, I am surprised you can not select any of the normal waypoint symbols when editing a waypoint on the device.

You should CALL Garmin and create a case and let us know what they tell you.

US: (913) 397-8200
US Toll Free: (800) 800-1020
Canada: (866) 429-9296
Warrior

Unread post by Warrior »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:28 pm Oh yeah, I forgot to zip it! (corrected now)

If you enter ".System' in the windows explorer address bar for your Zumo, I think you will find the directory!

One more question, which version of BaseCamp are you using? On what OS?
Nope, I had already tried ".System", also tried "System", "\System", nothing... We can setup a remote control session via TeamViewer if you'd like to look around... Just keep in mind you are 5 hours ahead of me, hehe...

Your .ZIP file contains the same .GCD file, thought you had multiple files...

BaseCamp version is the latest, 4.7.2, running on Windows 7, I also have it on a MACBook, but I rather work Windows as the MAC version of BaseCamp does't have as good graphics as the Windows version, plus its a laptop and my PC has two large monitors, easier to work with...
Warrior

Unread post by Warrior »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:16 pm While I do not have a zumo here for testing, I am surprised you can not select any of the normal waypoint symbols when editing a waypoint on the device.

Ugh, I dread having to call suppliers, they make go through all this stuff and usually never resolve the issues, but I guess I'm going to have to... Do you happen to have a screenshot of the symbols I should be seeing when changing one?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

They are standard Garmin waypoint symbols, like seen in BaseCamp.

See GPSrChive > How To... > Waypoints > Create Custom Waypoints > Custom Waypoint Symbols > Waypoint Symbol Sources > GPSrChive Custom Symbol Repository to view a complete list of classic and modern Garmin waypoint symbols.
Warrior

Unread post by Warrior »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:34 pm They are standard Garmin waypoint symbols, like seen in BaseCamp.

See GPSrChive > How To... > Waypoints > Create Custom Waypoints > Custom Waypoint Symbols > Waypoint Symbol Sources > GPSrChive Custom Symbol Repository to view a complete list of classic and modern Garmin waypoint symbols.
Wow, yeah ,akes me even more mad, they are practically the same, makes no sense at all that they don't create a link between BC and the device, its nuts!
Warrior

Unread post by Warrior »

Warrior wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:22 pm
gpsrchive wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:16 pm While I do not have a zumo here for testing, I am surprised you can not select any of the normal waypoint symbols when editing a waypoint on the device.

Ugh, I dread having to call suppliers, they make go through all this stuff and usually never resolve the issues, but I guess I'm going to have to... Do you happen to have a screenshot of the symbols I should be seeing when changing one?
Just got off the phone with them and as I suspected, they could not figure it out... They offered to replace it, but with a refurbished device, which kinda hurts because the device I have has never really been used, I took it on the road once and its in perfect condition... But its hard to believe that this device is broken... They guy mentioned that BC cannot transfer symbols to the device, and that the green symbols I see to change existing ones those are the normal symbols that come with the device, those 46 symbols and that the information that I received that it had more than that or the ones you mention on your How To's are NOT available from the unit.

So I'm not sure if I want to take the replacement if I' risking getting a device that is in lesser condition than mine to have the same issue. I'm really upset that a device of this caliber is not able to provide this service, why even have a color display then, lol...

I have too much money invested on this unit, I paid close to $1000 getting the device installed on my motorcycle, cable harness, Harley connector, handlebar bracket, labor, etc. So even if I wanted to go to a newer one it would not fit on the current adapter...

Going to keep playing with it until I can at least get it back to the flags, which was fine earlier today until it started giving me the dual symbols now, ugh...

BTW, does that GarminDevice.xml file you had me send you, could that have gotten corrupt or something, should I delete it and have it get re-created? Or do you think we should roll back the software and try again? do you think BC has anything to do with this maybe storing any files somewhere?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

If you are still running 4.60, I would perhaps try downloading to 4.40, then retesting. If everything seems the same, update again to 4.60 and retest, at least you will have a fresh clean install.
Warrior

Unread post by Warrior »

gpsrchive wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:45 pm If you are still running 4.60, I would perhaps try downloading to 4.40, then retesting. If everything seems the same, update again to 4.60 and retest, at least you will have a fresh clean install.
The inept idiot I talked to at Garmin didn't what he was talking about, plus he was ina hurry to leave, I was able to clean up the route and log, he wanted top replace the unit because I could not clear the device, moron...

Anyway, gonna try the route now and see... As far as rolling back to 4.40 I still cannot locate that ".System" folder...
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Can you find an 'update.gcd' file anywhere in the unit?

Return to “zūmo”