Saved Tracks + Recording Controls Elevation Plot Issue [Bug 129]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

Saved Tracks + Recording Controls Elevation Plot Issue [Bug 129]

Unread post by 987 »

GPSMAP 66st software 4.20, gps software 2.70.

Hi.
I have observed an issue while looking into Recorded activities or Saved tracks.
If one has a saved activity or a saved track.
Enters the recording, goes to the tab for the altimeter and do one of the following things.
A)
1. Press D-pad up or down to enter into the elevation plot.
2. Press Menu -> adjust zoom ranges.
3. After adjusting press Quit.
4. Press up or down to re-enter the elevation plot.
5. Now try to move left or right, instead of moving along the elevation plot, the unit moves to the information or the map tab (not expected).

B)
2. Move left or right to a position on the plot.
3. Press Menu -> View map.
3. After viewing map press Quit.
4. The elevation plot stills shows the position you selected.
5. Now try to move left or right, instead of moving along the elevation plot, the unit moves to the information or the map tab (not expected). This also occurs if one first tries to press up or down to select an elevation plot.

A new feature i would like to suggest is that the elevation plot should calculate and show an "current speed" at the plot position.
Something which one can see in some computer program, but it could be a nice feature on the device as well.
I don't know if sensor data is stored and could be shown as well in the plot. For example the current temperature, cadence and other information that connected devices send to the GPS unit. Since i don't have such sensors i cannot verify how it works, but i think it could be interesting for persons who has such sensors.
I understand that it would be limited to be saved only as often as a point is saved, but it would still be a lot better and nicer than nothing.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Saved Tracks + Recording Controls Elevation Plot Issue [Bug 129]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

987 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:07 pm GPSMAP 66st software 4.20, gps software 2.70.

Hi.
I have observed an issue while looking into Recorded activities or Saved tracks.
If one has a saved activity or a saved track.
Enters the recording, goes to the tab for the altimeter and do one of the following things.
A)
2. Press Menu -> adjust zoom ranges.
3. After adjusting press Quit.
4. Press up or down to re-enter the elevation plot.
5. Now try to move left or right, instead of moving along the elevation plot, the unit moves to the information or the map tab (not expected).

B)
2. Move left or right to a position on the plot.
3. Press Menu -> View map.
3. After viewing map press Quit.
4. The elevation plot stills shows the position you selected.
5. Now try to move left or right, instead of moving along the elevation plot, the unit moves to the information or the map tab (not expected). This also occurs if one first tries to press up or down to select an elevation plot.
Sounds a lot like Bug 70 in GPSMAP 66 > Common Issues, of which Garmin is aware and have assigned case #881.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

987 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:07 pm A new feature i would like to suggest is that the elevation plot should calculate and show an "current speed" at the plot position.
Something which one can see in some computer program, but it could be a nice feature on the device as well.
I don't know if sensor data is stored and could be shown as well in the plot. For example the current temperature, cadence and other information that connected devices send to the GPS unit. Since i don't have such sensors i cannot verify how it works, but i think it could be interesting for persons who has such sensors.
I understand that it would be limited to be saved only as often as a point is saved, but it would still be a lot better and nicer than nothing.
All very popular requests since the first GPSr capable of showing elevation plot information (Colorado series) was introduced. But Garmin have elected to maintain that the 'Elevation Plot' is just that, and 'Elevation Plot', no more, no less.

I certainly agree it would be nice to view all these additional details for each plot point of a recorded track, but those requests, made many times over the previous decade have always fallen on deaf ears.

Perhaps it is time to remind Garmin of this common request for possible consideration in newer devices under development.

Unread post by 987 »

Thanks for pointing me to bug 70, for some reason i missed it while searching.
I will write a suggestion to Garmin. This whole topic can be removed if you like, since the bug was already present is just noise.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

No removal necessary, your post just reinforces the desire of their customer base!

Unread post by 987 »

Hi, i am returning to this Bug 70 after very long time.
Now with GPSMAP 66st firmware 7.60, the case described as A) in the original post still occurs, but case B) is corrected.
Case B corresponds exactly to bug 70.
Case A) is very similar. Would it be worth creating a separate issue for the issue present after changing zoom ranges?

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”