Montana 610 backlight - problem

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
dmb1319

Montana 610 backlight - problem

Unread post by dmb1319 »

Is it possible to replace the back light on a Montana 610 (M610)?

My son has ALWAYS complained about not being able to see anything on his M610. Yesterday, I told him to use my M600 and I would see if I could find a setting to improve the image on his M610. Of course the first thing I looked at was the slider on the power screen. It was set to 100%. Other than that, I was unable to find anything that might improve the image. NOTE: He uses his M610 with an AMPS rugged mount wired to the chassis, so it always has power. IE, it's not a weak or dead battery.

When I used it, I was amazed that he was able to see ANYthing to Navigate the day before. The image literally disappeared (went black) at points when I was using it in bright sunlight. I also thought it strange that a couple of times I observed a lighter, viewable partial image appear moving from the lower left corner (portrait orientation) toward the upper right corner. It was similar to using a mouse on a computer to drag a rectangle from the lower left to upper right corner of the display. It never completely filled the screen before it disappeared. It's like the display was attempting to work properly, but failing.

There's an old saying: "If you can't stand the answer, don't ask the question. I really hate to ask Garmin about this because I don't expect a good answer. But if no one here has any thoughts that will be my next step I suppose.

Thanks,
Mike
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Montana 610 backlight - problem

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I was ready to condemn the back-light until I read "The image literally disappeared (went black) at points when I was using it in bright sunlight."

These units have sunlight readable screens that are so good you frequently can not even tell if the back-light is enabled when viewed in direct sunlight.

Then I read "I also thought it strange that a couple of times I observed a lighter, viewable partial image appear moving from the lower left corner (portrait orientation) toward the upper right corner."

I also find this suspect. The back-light can not fail in this manner.

I suspect there is a map display setting that needs to be changed, or the map being used may be the issue.

What maps are installed, and which are enabled?

Is Setup > Appearance > Mode set to Auto, Day, or Night?
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

THANK you for your reply and interest!
GPSA> What maps are installed, and which are enabled?
Worldwide DEM Basemap - Enabled
TOPO 100K US - Enabled
TOPO 24K Southwest - Enabled
Utah ATV Trails - Enabled

The same are installed enabled on my 600 along with:
24K Nevada TOPO, Arizona TOPO - enabled
Moab - Enabled

GPSA> Is Setup > Appearance > Mode set to Auto, Day, or Night?
Mode is set to Auto
Background is Water (!?) - what the - ???
Day highlight color - Orange
Night highlight color - Orange
Landscape controls - Left

Apart from the Mode (Day) & strange background color option these mirror my 600.
I've switched the Mode to day and background to Parchment and WOULD head out to the sunlight if it wasn't raining here now!

Thanks!
Mike
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Certainly!

Please also set the device to allow screen captures during next test and capture some to share so we can see what Map page looks like regardless of back-light status!
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

Thanks!
I WILL send a screen shot when I am able to replicate the problem.

Mike
Ride prepared!
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

Update - 30 Sep
In addition to changing Setup/Appearance/Mode and Background we also disabled all maps except Southwest 24K TOPO. That is the map we use most often. This completely remedied the problem We have not taken it out on the trail yet. We rode around (in a pickup) on surface streets exposing the Montana to direct sunlight in as many angles as we could manage. There was a noticeable improvement.

Finally, we put a new Garmin Montana (NOT ZAGG) screen protector on it. The old one seemed to have a few scratches in it and seemed a little foggy.

THANKS to gpsrchive for his help and suggestions.

For me this has always been the site Garmin SHOULD have posted! It is the very best Garmin GPS resource.

Thanks!
Mike
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Glad to hear you have your Montana working as desired again!

Return to “Montana 6x0”