Map and route making software - QGIS vs Basecamp or other

Discussion related to Garmin BaseCamp software for Windows
amazemouse

Map and route making software - QGIS vs Basecamp or other

Unread post by amazemouse »

Hi all,

I have just ordered my 1st handheld GPS (Garmin GPSMAP 66st) and am wondering what the best software is to make and manage maps, routes and all of my GPS related info. I've been reading a bunch of the forums and see a lot of mention of Basecamp, even though it seems to be end of life.

My use case in a nutshell:
  • Make and plan hiking routes for navigation on my device
  • Create a personal "database" of POIs, past routes, new routes etc (so basically a personal map). I'd also like to use this for storing recorded routes of where I've been
  • Oh... and I'm on a Mac
As mentioned above I've seen a lot of mention about Basecamp even though it is EOL. I've also had a look at QGIS and wondering if this might be better suited to my application - however I don't see many people mentioning it. Are there any other pieces of software out there that I should be looking into?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Map and route making software - QGIS vs Basecamp or other

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Managing routes/tracks/waypoints is one thing, actually making maps is another.

As for saving, creating, and managing RTW, I still use BaseCamp (a mac version is available) for this purpose. There are many other software titles that do similar. Some have features others do not, so it really depends on which software works best for your purpose. Some of the better known titles are listed at GPSMAP 66 > Software. You may want to look at 'Explore', the cloud based BaseCamp 'replacement'.

Creating actual *.img maps for your GPSr, if that is also desired, is a whole different thing, with a much steeper learning curve.
MP21

Re: Map and route making software - QGIS vs Basecamp or other

Unread post by MP21 »

Caltopo by far the best IMO. Are you in Colorado? Try COTREX. I use Basecamp to archive, manage files etc.

Return to “BaseCamp (PC)”