Ascent figures change when loaded to BaseCamp

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
truckinguy

Ascent figures change when loaded to BaseCamp

Unread post by truckinguy »

Why would my trip computer show higher ascent then when I download the track into BC it shows less. Example. Today we hiked up a mountain for about 5.1 miles RT. The total ascent that showed in my trip computer on the Montana was 1835 ft.
I saved the track when we got down ( cleared before start and ran the whole hike without pausing or shutting down). At home I downloaded it to BC and it showed a good 300 or so ft less for total ascent. My wifes 66st showed the same on her screen and when downloaded to BC.
This has been going on for a while. Maybe always and I just never paid attention to it. Or has Garmin changed the software process.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Ascent figures change when loaded to BaseCamp

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Montana Model and Firmware version, please?
truckinguy

Model 680 software ver 3.40
GPSrChive
Site Admin

If I understand correctly, you are saying that after a hike with a Montana 680 and GPSMAP 66, in BaseCamp the recorded tracklog for the Montana showed a different total ascent number than did the Trip Computer while the recorded tracklog from the GPSMAP 66 showed the same total ascent as did the Trip Computer on that GPSr?

i.e.

The reported total ascent on the Montana 680 trip computer did not agree with the value displayed (from the tracklog) in BaseCamp, and
The reported total ascent on the GPSMAP 66 trip computer did agree with the value displayed (from the tracklog) in BaseCamp?
truckinguy

Yes. But not to confuse things we can leave out the 66st numbers. The issue I have is the Montanas trip computer data page (with data field set to total ascent,total trip,total decsent,total time etc) will always show higher total ascent and when loaded to base camp it will show less total ascent in the track properties in BC.

So when I download the saved track the data mostly with ascent changes (always reads lower) when computed in base camp. I always compare to my wifes 66ST and her old Oregon 700 back when. The mileage is real close as the time,stopped time etc.

I'm wondering if the hole for the barometer is being affected or getting plugged in my pocket next to my chest. Her's is in a pouch on her chest strap. But again when I download to BC and open the track properties it reads less and more in line with my wifes 66st that reads the same in the data fields at the end of the hike and when she opens the saved track in BC it reads the same as in the data fields.

I'll keep checking but this has been ongoing. I will be hiking Weds and Saturday again.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

For the purpose of this conversation, I am going to keep the GPSMAP 66 involved. (more on that later)

Could you please send both of those tracks from the Montana 680 and GPSMAP 66 to WebMaster@GPSrChive.com?

Thank You!
truckinguy

Sent it out. Sorry it took long. I've been busy.
MP21

Unread post by MP21 »

Is there an answer for this? I’m interested since my 750 trip computer total ascent is too high.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The short answer:

Refer to Montana FAQ #9.

Essentially, when the trip computer and track log recording intervals are not identical, the longer the trip, the more potential difference between the two. This applies to all trip/track statistical information.

This is why the statistical information displayed on the Montana Trip Computer did not match the statistical information displayed for the track log recording in BaseCamp.

With the first generation Montana 600/650, the best solution was to set the track log recording interval to match trip computer recording interval, and reset both at the beginning of every hike, as stated in FAQ #9.

The second generation Montana 610/680 include advanced track log recording capabilities, including an option to tie the trip computer and track log recording together (Setup > Tracks > Advanced > Trip Recording > When Tracking). This essentially only allows the trip computer to accumulate data when the track log recording is active. For best results, the track log recording interval should be set to match the trip computer interval (1Hz).
truckinguy

I did two hikes this week ( same one and not a long one) so I'm not convinced with the data. But when I had the Montana set to "Trip Recording-When Tracking" it seemed to be the best.

Going on a much longer hike today with it set to "When Tracking" and will see. I'll post back tonight or tomorrow.

Return to “Montana 6x0”