New GPSr Recommendations

Discussion related to Off Road 4x4 activities
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: New GPSr Recommendations

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Traveller128 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:42 pm Just need to figure out if I can get MVUM maps to work on it, and we'll go that route.
The Garmin Tread navigators currently include MVUM maps right out of the box.

We have requested that Garmin add MVUM as an available layer in their new Outdoor Maps+ subscription (which is supported by the Montana 7x0).

There are other methods to get MVUM on your Garmin GPSr now, but they can be spotty and may require some research time to get the result you want.

We found this PDF document from the Coconino NF website that includes information and links to an installer that loads Coconino NF MVUM maps directly to supported Garmin devices. We were able to get them loaded on our Montana 7x0 within just a few minutes. It appears not all NF websites support or provide similar maps, however.

Do keep in mind, the Montana 7x0 is a Garmin 'Outdoor Recreation' device that operates very similar to all Garmin handheld devices from the last 20+ years, while the Tread devices are 'Automotive' devices that operate completely differently, and a learning curve will be likely with either option.

You can also convert NFS PDF maps to Raster Maps and load them to your supported Garmin Navigator. See GPSrChive > How To... > Maps > Custom Maps for details. (The process is not as difficult as it may first seem - It only takes a few minutes to convert a PDF map and load it to your device).
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

Traveller128 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:42 pm Just need to figure out if I can get MVUM maps to work on it, and we'll go that route.
Motor Vehicle Usage Maps (MVUM) are published in .shp, .GeoPDF and .GeoTiff file formats.

For Garmin outdoor devices, maps can be created by processing any of the mentioned formats.

SHP - transparent map in .img file

GeoPDF and GeoTiff - raster map in .kmz or .jnx file with transparency of a detailed vector map.

It is possible to combine a raster MVUM map with a detailed raster map into one kmz or jnx file.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Przekątny wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:18 pm Motor Vehicle Usage Maps (MVUM) are published in .shp file formats.
Source for SHP files, please?
Przekątny

*** formatting updated to comply with forum posting guidelines ***

ONLY Pike-San Isabel National Forests & Cimarron and Comanche National Grasslands:
Traveller128

Unread post by Traveller128 »

Thanks for that. I'm also an Onx user (2 years at this point) and have a hard time understanding why trail maps are hard to put on the GPS devices. I'm not a fan of the Onx interface, but their maps flat out kick butt. Between blending satellite and mapping products, they really give you situational awareness, if they're working properly. Gaia is another option, for maps. They're very detailed, and easy to read. For the Jeep crowd, that's the deal. A lot of them have switched to a tablet style screen with multiple apps to pull from when they're doing serious offroad.

My issue with the apps and our cell phone, is that interfacing with our Jeep is a little glitchy. I realize that can be a UConnect issue. We're working on that. But we need accurate GPS sometimes, especially for land use borders here. I was trying to stay away from a large tablet mounted in the Jeep running multiple apps.

I'm not understanding why I can buy a Zumo XT for $399, and a Tread (Zumo XT with a different name) for $600 with basically a little more offroad mapping. It's not complete, the Garmin MVUM's for Idaho only amount to two areas, and don't cover areas that I ride. I need trail numbers and the ability to see terrain on the GPS. If I can transfer Onx or Gaia level mapping to a more accurate GPS device, that would be the laudable goal.

We're really examining what we want from GPS. The Montana is an interesting device, but isn't hitting all the high points for our use. The Zumo XT based system isn't hitting all the detailed mapping (satellite, topography and detailed trails). The handheld GPS stuff gets us accurate positioning, but not always the route to get to points on the map. I have a whole bunch of old mining coordinates that I want to look at this year, but they are points on a map, not routes to the points. Having a trail overlay on the map is going to mean the difference between us checking some of them, or not, because we're riding an ATV on day trips and overnight camping trips, not multi-day hiking/camping trips. If we can spend a day riding to an area to check out geology, and have a route to use, we're more likely to head out. It's me, my wife, and dog on an ATV to ride trail to an area, and then we can hike the last mile or two into a location.

Other than that, knowing where we're currently at is a requirement. We have paper map backup, and know which canyon we're in always. Onx on the phone app is also good situational awareness, and a handheld GPS is what we wanted also, but it has to have GOOD mapping (as good as other products) or we switch to a rugged cell phone and use Gaia and Onx. We can buy a used 62 or 64 if I just want to have GPS positioning and not live mapping while moving.
Traveller128

And one other thing, Onx on the phone works in a vehicle for being able to see it, but direct sunlight readable is very difficult. Just not enough nits of backlight, and it's not transflective. That's why we're shopping Garmin GPS again after using Android based navigation for over 2 years. We're outside hiking or biking and need outside viewable hardware!
Przekątny

If the maps in the Onx application are detailed enough, you can designate tracks and waypoints in this application and use them on your Garmin device, I know this is not the optimal solution, but it can be effective on sunny days.
You can collect the track of a specific area and create a transparent track map that will be displayed against the most appropriate map on your Garmin device.
Traveller128

We might be leaning towards a two prong solution. Use a Tread on the ATV, the ADV bike and in the Jeep, then use a handheld for hiking away from them trying to find particular points. For riding use, we really need the larger screen and moving map. For hiking, I'm finding the 2.6" screen is fine in my hand, not awesome, but at hiking speeds I'm having no issues. That means Garmin 62, 64, 65. I can buy a new Tread for $540 (just went down on Amazon) or wait a bit and see if Garmin releases something new (like an XT2 based Tread) and the price drops more on the XT and Android based Tread.

After reading everything I could find about the operating systems, it seems like the later Tread based OS is easier to add maps to. The offroad maps, combined with finer trail mapping where needed, should be fine on the machines. Then use anything from a 65s to a 67 for handheld when hiking off the machines. Maybe a used 62 or 64, maybe a 66sr, maybe grab a 65s when they go on sale again.

Just aren't going to cover our use cases with a single device. I'm not super impressed with Android cell phone based apps, even if the maps are good. They glitch also, and that's not great when you're way out in the weeds.
Traveller128

Verified that the Tread app (downloaded it) has all the trails we need, so I can use the app to download the detailed maps onto the Tread. It was difficult to find the actual map info the Tread has, not well described online or pictured, but messing around with the app this afternoon I found all the trail detail info I think we'll need. So, I'm ordering a Tread Base tonight and will start looking for a handheld GPS for off the vehicle nav.

I'd rather a one unit solution, but it is what it is.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Good call!

There is no 'one unit does it all' holy grail GPSr, so I think you are on the right track here. Minimum in my opinion is the GPSMAP 65. The GPSMAP 67 also has the Multi-Band capability with a ton of additional capabilities you may eventually decide you actually want after you buy something less expensive. The Outdoor Maps+ functionality is frequently getting additional updates with new/expanded mapping options.

Return to “Off Road 4x4”