Flashing Glonass and Beidou

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Backstreetbob

Flashing Glonass and Beidou

Unread post by Backstreetbob »

Does anyone else with a 67 notice there is usually one or two Glonass and Beidou satellites flash on the satellite page? GPS and Galileo never have any that flash. Why do they flash? On all my other Garmin devices they never flash.
JungleJim

Re: Flashing Glonass and Beidou

Unread post by JungleJim »

According to GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Pages > Satellite a flashing bar means that the device is downloading data from that satellite.

From what I understand on how GNSS works, each satellite sends data about its accuracy, health and clock data, so called ephemeris data. This data is unique per satellite. It could be that the GPSMAP contains outdated data on some satellites (the ephemeris data is valid for a couple of hours) and needs to download new data, resulting in blinking bars on the satellite page. As to why this happens for you on Glonass and Beidou and not on GPS and Galileo, I don't know.

But if anyone else knows more feel free to add to this!
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

From what I had read, when the satellites flash, they are not acquired and load the data is therefore ineffective for positioning. I just turned on my 67, after five minutes outside I only have one Beidou satellite blinking, none on the other three systems. And after 10 minutes none of them blink anymore. Are you outside, well positioned?
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
Backstreetbob

Unread post by Backstreetbob »

Yes, even on a long walk out in the open you can get the odd one blink on Beidou and Glonass here and there and other times they're solid. Weird! On my 65s none of the ever blink.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”