TwoNav Terra experiences?

Discussion related to TwoNav GPS receivers
JungleJim

TwoNav Terra experiences?

Unread post by JungleJim »

I know this is primarily a Garmin forum, but can’t hurt to ask 😀

Anyone who has experience with the TwoNav models, especially the Terra? Feature wise it looks quite good.

I’m mostly interested in hiking and maybe some occasional cycling when I don’t have my Edge 1040 with me. How does the Terra perform in the following areas?

* map quality, especially compared to the OSM based maps available for Garmin (Talkytoaster, openfietsmap, Freizeitkarte)
* accuracy (and precision) of positioning and data
* what data fields are available
* navigation experience
* software quality (can’t image this can be worse than what Garmin offers 😛)

Saw some videos from gpstraining.co.uk and they were quite positive, but there is not a lot of info out there.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Backstreetbob

Re: TwoNav Terra experiences?

Unread post by Backstreetbob »

JungleJim wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:03 pm
Saw some videos from gpstraining.co.uk and they were quite positive, but there is not a lot of info out there.
I've been watching reviews on this, I still prefer the Garmin's myself, Garmin have it nailed with the interface etc, and correct me if I'm wrong none of the Twonavs have Multi Band? I heard Two Nav are excellent with firmware updates if you spot an issue they address it immediately and release new firmware within days not like Garmin where it takes about 2 years IF they decide to sort it..

In regards to GPSTRAINING, I'd take what they say with a pinch of salt, what ever is new and they're reviewing/pushing at the time is always the best thing since sliced bread. Also they're turds for sending out devices already opened that they say they set up for you so it's ready when in reality they've probably been using them on their GPS Training days. I received a device once, box was dented device had been used and had marks on device and was all set up as you can tell when it's original boxed when you turn it on, I sent it back. Wouldn't buy from them again.
GPS Training

Unread post by GPS Training »

BackStreetBob - A customer has kindly flagged up your comment with me.

Please accept my apologies if you received a unit from us set up if this is not what you wanted. I can only apologise.

I can categorically say we do not use any units on our courses, most people come on our courses with their own GPS units, but we do have 1 x of every unit we sell in a training bag.

These GPS units we use to refer to if customers ring up and ask for support, then we can pick up the unit they are looking at and guide them through any issues they are having.

I personally (Jon, from GPS Training) do try to look at the positives in each of the units that walk with when I record the videos.

I believe there is not one unit that meets everybody's requirements and the budget, activity and lots of other facts need to be thrown into the equation. Therefore when walking my 'walk and talk' series on YouTube I try and think in depth about who the unit would suit and believe me walking with a different unit for x 4 weeks before recording a video gives you lots of time to think about what you like or dislike about any unit.

But, as I said above, maybe wrongly, I do try to focus on what I like about units rather than what I don't like about them. Maybe I need to be a little more grumpy in the future.

I hope this helps and thanks again for your thoughts and feedback, I never stop learning and do take on board all comments I receive on whatever platform they are on.

Stay safe and enjoy your walking.

Jon
JungleJim

Backstreetbob wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:12 pm I've been watching reviews on this, I still prefer the Garmin's myself, Garmin have it nailed with the interface etc, and correct me if I'm wrong none of the Twonavs have Multi Band? I heard Two Nav are excellent with firmware updates if you spot an issue they address it immediately and release new firmware within days not like Garmin where it takes about 2 years IF they decide to sort it..
It is indeed unclear whether the TwoNav's support multi-band, I'll ask their sales support to see what they say. I noticed indeed the frequent software updates, that's definitely a plus! One downside for me would be that I lose the ability to use custom OSM-based maps? There is a lot out there for Garmin that's really quite good.
Backstreetbob wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:12 pm In regards to GPSTRAINING, I'd take what they say with a pinch of salt, what ever is new and they're reviewing/pushing at the time is always the best thing since sliced bread. Also they're turds for sending out devices already opened that they say they set up for you so it's ready when in reality they've probably been using them on their GPS Training days. I received a device once, box was dented device had been used and had marks on device and was all set up as you can tell when it's original boxed when you turn it on, I sent it back. Wouldn't buy from them again.
Can't comment on their sales practices as I've never ordered from them, but I regularly watch their Youtube videos and I actually like them. Nice mix of interesting UK country side and practical info on how the various devices operate.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
RunnerAndrew

Unread post by RunnerAndrew »

Hi Jim, the TwoNav units that I have seen including the cross plus and terra are not multi-band (dual frequency) but are multi gnss and can pick up the following satellite systems -
GPS, Galileo,Glonass, Beidou
SBAS/EGNOS
I have used a cross plus, you could set it to pick up 3 X satellite systems at once not all four,
In various configurations,.
Using a cross plus setup as GPS, Galileo & Beidou + Egnos, I did see a good accuracy in the Yorkshire hills in the UK of on average 3 - 4 feet, but I have seen it down to 2 feet as well.
Hope this helps 🙂
Last edited by RunnerAndrew on Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JungleJim

Thanks for the info, that sounds like a really good accuracy, beter than Garmin actually (I have never seen less than 1,8m with my GPSMAP 67).

I also found this test from navigation-professionell.de that also finds the accuracy really good.
RunnerAndrew

Unread post by RunnerAndrew »

Hi Jim, thank you that is a very comprehensive review with lots of useful information , when I have been hiking with the cross plus I did have a good clear unobstructed view of the sky , but was still very pleased with accuracy , a friend's Garmin GPS map66sr locked onto satellites a little bit quicker but there was not much in it, will have to see what the satellite lock is like in a more challenging environment with steeper cliff faces etc.
In the review you shared it looked like they had 1 metre accuracy displayed on one of the images in the snowy hills.
Thanks again for sharing 🙂
Backstreetbob

Unread post by Backstreetbob »

Interesting the accuracy goes down to 3-4 feet. I think with Garmin the accuracy is probably less than 6feet (1.8m)
(as the 67 seems pin point accurate especially at geochaching) but the software isn't made to say any lower.

In regards to the 66sr locking down to maximum accuracy quickest I doubt anything will beat the 66sr and 65s ( that share the same chipset) my 65s absolutely pastes the 67 for how fast it gets to 6feet accuracy whether it be indoors or outdoors it's more or less instant where as the 67 takes a good 20 seconds to settle to 6feet accuracy even outdoors.

Unread post by 987 »

Was interested in twonav, but cross plus, they sure look to have very nice usability and are lighter than similar garmin devices.

As for data fields, manual is good reading.

As for maps, yes they do have osm based maps, but the garmin *.img (gmapsupp) files are not supported. I checked manual and asked their support.
Thy do sell osm based map for the assembly cost, europe is at about 10€.
These are routable, but does not have address search.
I have not seen pictures of these maps and cannot comment how they look otherwise.
For adress searching TomTom maps are needed (they are supported).

I asked which tool they use to generate osm based maps, didnt get a clear answer, but at least Land (their map planner and program) is said to be able to alter some aspects of the maps, but no answer if that means content, symbols and all of which mapmakers for garmin can play around with.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Making their devices compatible with Garmin *.img maps might result in a lot more sales.

Return to “TwoNav”