eTrex 32x (Gen 1) slow to show map from waypoint

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex 22x, 32x GPSr

eTrex 32x (Gen 1) slow to show map from waypoint

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
Using the ETREX 32x (gen 1), all firmwares to date (current 2.90) i notice an odd thing.

I have topo active maps (europe) on the device which are included, as well as other OSM maps.
The topo active maps are both on the device and on micro SD card (they were installed like this by garmin express). The other maps are all on the memory card.
The topo active maps are disabled from the map options. base map is enabled as well as the other maps.
Each topo active map is about 3 GB. each of the others are from 500 MB to 2.5 GB.

When opening waypoint manager from the menu, selecting any of the waypoints and selecting "MAP" to show the waypoint on the map it takes almost 15 seconds for the map to display. This also happens when opening the find "where to" and selecting a waypoint, it takes really long for the map to show. But, if "where to" and "recent find" is selected, any location that is not a waypoint (can be a street address that i searched earlier or a point from a POI database), the map shows up directly, within 1 or 2 seconds.

If connect the device and remove or rename the img file for either the osm maps or the topo active maps (leaving one set of maps), the time for a waypoint to show on the map is halved, to around 8 seconds.

This feels like a bug, that the device tries to read all maps when it would really only need the one for the location of the waypoint and only from those maps that are enabled. Maybe it does not fully honour the settings for which maps are enabled or disabled.

Any comments or similar observations?
Przekątny

Re: eTrex 32x (Gen 1) slow to show map from waypoint

Unread post by Przekątny »

The search is carried out in different ways, depending on the category, address points are searched by default on the activated map or a selected map, cities are searched on all maps, and geographical and navigation points are searched in a similar way. The software allows you to search according to various categories and indicate a place near which the object is to be searched - it speeds up the search for the object.

On the Go screen, select Search nearby - Select the area where the point you are looking for is located, there are several options for selecting the point - Select a category....
987 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:46 pm If connect the device and remove or rename the img file for either the osm maps or the topo active maps (leaving one set of maps), the time for a waypoint to show on the map is halved, to around 8 seconds.
Renaming the img file does not cause the map to disappear from the list on new devices - starting with Colorado.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Przekątny wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:21 pm Renaming the img file does not cause the map to disappear from the list on new devices - starting with Colorado.
It will do exactly that if you rename the extension. For example, change *.img to *.skp.
Przekątny

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:52 pm It will do exactly that if you rename the extension. For example, change *.img to *.skp.
Of course, changing the extension deactivates the map, but it does not change the file name, the methods may be different, you can add any character to the extension ( .img1). Some people use a different method - they move the img file to a directory - the effect is similar.

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
Let's not derail to discussion of renaming of files, i change the extension (if that makes it clear), to make sure the device does not pick up those maps, this is equivalent to removing the files.

Back to the topic.
In the waypoint manager, we have waypoints, they can be placed anywhere in the world, meaning they could be on any map (enabled or disabled).
I use the waypoint manager to find a waypoint by the name i have set, so that i can avoid searching near some location to find the location (of the waypoint) i am looking for. Example: I look for "friends summer house" by its name, not by scrolling the map trying to remember where that house was.
Makes sense i hope.

Now, wherever that waypoint is and regardless of how many maps happen to be enabled in that location, when selcting to show the map for that waypoint, the device should only need to:
a) take the position of the waypoint, b) scroll/zoom/position the map view to this position, c) draw the enabled maps for this location (if the top most has no transparency, possibly only the top most).

If this happens correctly the device should know that it needs to draw data only from the maps enabled in this location, and only those that would be visible. it certainly should not need to bother about any of those maps that the device knows of, but has been disabled in the map setup.
Especially since points of interests (where to? -> extras) can also be anywhere, but display fast.

To the original question, does anyone else experience longer delay in showing waypoints the map, if you add more map files (*.img)?
Przekątny

No map is needed to display your own points on the device screen, you don't even need a base map, you can exclude all maps and the selected point will still be displayed in the correct location.

Own points are not searched on maps, they have practically no connection with maps,
in the Points category the search engine does not search maps.

Can the presence of maps on the device cause significant slowdown - from your description it appears that it can.

Try to save the points in a Gpi file, maybe it will speed up the display of points.
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

987 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:46 pm Hi.
Using the ETREX 32x (gen 1), all firmwares to date (current 2.90) i notice an odd thing.

I have topo active maps (europe) on the device which are included, as well as other OSM maps.
The topo active maps are both on the device and on micro SD card (they were installed like this by garmin express). The other maps are all on the memory card.
The topo active maps are disabled from the map options. base map is enabled as well as the other maps.
Each topo active map is about 3 GB. each of the others are from 500 MB to 2.5 GB.

When opening waypoint manager from the menu, selecting any of the waypoints and selecting "MAP" to show the waypoint on the map it takes almost 15 seconds for the map to display. This also happens when opening the find "where to" and selecting a waypoint, it takes really long for the map to show. But, if "where to" and "recent find" is selected, any location that is not a waypoint (can be a street address that i searched earlier or a point from a POI database), the map shows up directly, within 1 or 2 seconds.

If connect the device and remove or rename the img file for either the osm maps or the topo active maps (leaving one set of maps), the time for a waypoint to show on the map is halved, to around 8 seconds.

This feels like a bug, that the device tries to read all maps when it would really only need the one for the location of the waypoint and only from those maps that are enabled. Maybe it does not fully honour the settings for which maps are enabled or disabled.

Any comments or similar observations?
On the etrex 30x it was like that when you try to search a POI also. If the maps were present (even not activated) it would search all maps.
I reported at the time to garmin, no answer whatsoever.
I believe the issue is related.
Przekątny

skinnie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:47 pm On the etrex 30x it was like that when you try to search a POI also. If the maps were present (even not activated) it would search all maps.
Why didn't you use the Select Map option when searching for POIs?
POI searches will only be performed on one selected map.
(Etrex 30 had this option).

Unread post by 987 »

skinnie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:47 pm On the etrex 30x it was like that when you try to search a POI also. If the maps were present (even not activated) it would search all maps.
I reported at the time to garmin, no answer whatsoever.
I believe the issue is related.
This still happens when searching for a point of information that is in the map information, even if one specific map is selected while searching, results from all maps are shown. But this is not the scenario i am considering, i compare time it takes to display a waypoint on the map when i select a waypoint (not map data but stored in gpx files) and i compared with POI from POI database (also not map data but stored in gpi files). Waypoint displays slowly, POI from POI database displays fast on the map.

Przekątny wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:17 am
Why didn't you use the Select Map option when searching for POIs?
POI searches will only be performed on one selected map.
(Etrex 30 had this option).
This is not the scenario i am considering, i compare time it takes to display a waypoint on the map when i select a waypoint (not map data but stored in gpx files) and i compared with POI from POI database (also not map data but stored in gpi files). Waypoint displays slowly, POI from POI database displays fast on the map.
What you suggest cannot be done in this case. And as responded just above, it so happens that it does not work correctly on the etrex 32x. (it works better on higher end devices).

However, this topic is about the issue of displaying waypoints on etrex 32x and similar devices when many maps are on the device, enabled or disabled, topic is not about displaying map points from map data.
Przekątny

987 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:33 am This still happens when searching for a point of information that is in the map information, even if one specific map is selected while searching, results from all maps are shown.
No, this is not the case, for example, search by addresses, you can have the Topo Active map turned on and search for addresses only on the Osm map, if you choose the Osm map. Searching by other categories works similarly, but that doesn't mean it's just as fast. When searching for geographical objects, the search engine searches for the entered phrase in an area with a radius of approximately 1000 km, even on one map the search takes quite a long time.

Return to “eTrex x2x”