GPSMAP 67 Worth The Money?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Backstreetbob

GPSMAP 67 Worth The Money?

Unread post by Backstreetbob »

Looking at getting a new GPSMAP 67, a few questions I have is, is the 67 worth the money? I've read multiple posts on here about firmware issues and inaccuracies, is it really as bad as is made out on this forum?

Lastly does Garmin release models yearly? As I understand this unit has been out almost a year so I don't want to buy if a new model is imminent?
JungleJim

Re: GPSMAP 67 Worth The Money?

Unread post by JungleJim »

Whether the device is worth your money is something only you can answer :)

As for the firmware issues and inaccuracies, on a forum there will always be more people posting about things not working as expected than people posting about what works well. Personally I don't encounter any issues that make the device unusable. Some things are quirky (e.g. map manager) or inconvenient (e.g. total ascent/descent values not always correct, but this can be adjusted afterwards) but for my use cases it works well enough. The improved battery life alone makes the device worth it for me.

And as discussed in another thread in this board, a successor to the GPSMAP 67 this year is very unlikely because the device is only one year old. But then again only Garmin knows what their plans are for outdoor handheld devices...
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Backstreetbob

Will the mentioned issues likely be fixed in a future update or something?
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

I certainly hope so!
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
neilwoody

Unread post by neilwoody »

I am very happy with my 67. I use it for off-trail route finding under fairly heavy NE foliage. With multi - GNSS and dual-band, the positional accuracy is excellent. The ascent and descent recording issue really does not matter to me because that information is available to me from the detailed USGS topographic custom maps that are displayed on my 67. I also found that I can calibrate the altitude using a known benchmark elevation and that usually works well for a day's hiking. The internal battery life is excellent.
pedigree1

Unread post by pedigree1 »

If you wait for garmin to fix all the issues you will never buy one.

I have had several hand held Garmins and they have all had issues but none of them have stopped me from using the device and enjoying it. It's a complicated beast and each new model increases that complexity. I upgraded from a 66s because that was broken and I didnt want to pay for an expensive repair but also becuase my 67i means that I dont have to carry a separate InReach device and because of the hugely increased battery life.
Current: GPSmap 67i; Edge 520; GPSmap 62; InReach mini Mk 1. Previous: GPSmap 66s.
Backstreetbob

Mine arrived today very impressed with the screen quality and speed of the device. Just added a glass screen protector and case on it to keep it mint.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”