Courses, Routes and

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
aleph

Courses, Routes and

Unread post by aleph »

I am trying to understand the following:
- the route/course has points but the navigation panel shows the "next" point as the last.

I created a route in Komoot (but it is the same behaviour in Garmin Explore App).
To do that I defined a set of points ... and the "path" (I am calling it so to avoid the distinction between route and course etc) was shown on the map.

The course I was creating, had points on roads (navigation possible) and on tracks that were not shown on the map ("wild" track")
In the end, the route had around 20 points..

I started the route, told Garmin to use "Direct Path" (I have an option to be prompted if I want direct or trails and roads) and it showed the route.
Of course there were no directions anywhere (even on the road) because I suppose I chose "direct path".

But... the Dashboard data field only showed "distance to next point" as the distance to the destination.

Am I doing something wrong here?

thanks
JungleJim

Re: Courses, Routes and

Unread post by JungleJim »

When using Courses, the Distance to Next field will only work if the course contains so called Course Points. You can create these with the Explore app. With Komoot this is not supported unfortunately.

To create course points in Explore you need to open the course in the app and then select Points. This will give a list of all points that you placed when creating the course. You can then select a point and modify it, for example rename or change the symbol. When you do this (and after a sync with the GPSMAP) then these modified points will become Course Points.

When you navigate the course, the distance to next field will show the distance to the next course point.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
JungleJim

Small addendum to what I wrote earlier (I cannot edit my post anymore :( ), you do not actually need to modify the points in Explore app for them to become Course Points. So any point you place becomes a Course Point.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
aleph

Unread post by aleph »

Many thanks for your help!
I understand now why.

Thanks again
aleph

Unread post by aleph »

I am reopening the discussion because I am puzzled now.
This is till about **distance to next**

I did try what JungleJim mentioned (thanks again!).... but the behaviour is really not what I think is correct

I have a round trip around a start point (as many times happens in hiking tours). I planned a course, I *did* create several "course points"... I even edited them to be sure they show in the map.

Upon sending this to the GPSMAP I have 2 options:
a) direct path
b) Roads & Trails.

Following b) it shows the distance to the next point BUT the device doesn't follow the points I defined before... it tries at every opportunity to "optimise" the route, and so this is not an option if I am hiking (because most of the time I do want to go through a specific path)

Following a) there is no optimisation, but the distance to next always shows the last point --- **although the course points are defined** (as I saw when following option b)

==> How do you guys get the distance to the next point in a hiking route????

thanks for helping!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What is your actual location in relation to the first, second and last points when this occurs? Are you actively navigating the course?

Please share the course here or privately.
@
webmaster at GPSrChive dot com
JungleJim

I also had some troubles when using a course that is a round trip. In that case the distance to next would show the distance to the last course point. Could be a bug but I did not test extensively.

Does the distance to next work for you if you do a one way course? And does it behave the same if you are actually following a course (opposed to being some way from the start of the course)?

Also I rarely use the roads & trails option when navigating a course because a) I don’t need the turn by turn instructions and b) the calculation often takes a very long time.
aleph

Unread post by aleph »

Just to help you guys help me.... hear more data

I am really eager to understand what others do to get the distance to next... eg you do it in Basecamp only and use "direct path"? you export it all as track?... or?
(I thought at the beginning a course was a good thing...)

Here is what I have: a diagram of the path in the attachment:
path
Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 10.33.43.png
the route should be: (so is the order of the points in explore app): point1, turn1, on main1, into trail, point 5, mud path, below path, direction farmer, direction village, point 10, walk end.

Use Case1)
I start the navigation as Roads & Trails (from the iPhone or from the device)
it tells me to go to turn1, then when I'm in the road where the white star is, it indicates that in x meters (the distance to the orange star) I should turn LEFT.... ignoring the points defined in the course.

If I go right where the orange star is, then it shows of course and wants to send me back.

Distances (aprox):
Point 1 to turn 1: 220 m
turn1 to on main1: 700 m
from the white star to walk end: 1.3 Km
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aleph

Unread post by aleph »

JungleJim wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:25 pm I also had some troubles when using a course that is a round trip. In that case the distance to next would show the distance to the last course point. Could be a bug but I did not test extensively.

Does the distance to next work for you if you do a one way course? And does it behave the same if you are actually following a course (opposed to being some way from the start of the course)?

Also I rarely use the roads & trails option when navigating a course because a) I don’t need the turn by turn instructions and b) the calculation often takes a very long time.

<<In that case the distance to next would show the distance to the last course point>>
yes very similar to what happens to me

<<Also I rarely use the roads & trails option when navigating a course because a) I don’t need the turn by turn instructions>>
Yes... I also dont need the turn by turn.
The only thing I want is the distance to next.....

How do you get it?
do you plan in Basecamp and export gpx? does it work?
JungleJim

Re: Courses, Routes and [Bug 33]

aleph wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:29 am <<In that case the distance to next would show the distance to the last course point>>
yes very similar to what happens to me

<<Also I rarely use the roads & trails option when navigating a course because a) I don’t need the turn by turn instructions>>
Yes... I also dont need the turn by turn.
The only thing I want is the distance to next.....

How do you get it?
do you plan in Basecamp and export gpx? does it work?
Ok I did some additional testing and contacted Garmin US support, and the support rep could reproduce this behavior. So he made a note about it and will check internally to further investigate. So I think it will be good if you also contact Garmin support and explain the issue you're experiencing.

During testing I also ran into an issue where I navigate a Course using Roads & Trails, and the device loads a different Course than the one I selected in the Course Planner. When starting the Course from Garmin Explore app, the correct one is loaded.

And another issue I noticed is that when you navigate a round trip Course with Course points and as Direct Path, and open up the Active Route page, the distances to the course points shown are strange. Of the 7 course points 5 have the same distance, and 2 have a very large negative distance.

And the third one is that when I press Menu on the map screen, in some cases the menu contains both the option to Resume Navigation and to Stop Navigation...

As for how I plan my Courses: I use either Komoot to plan my own before a trip, AllTrails when searching for existing trails, or Garmin Explore app when planning on the fly. Basecamp I only use to view the 3rd party maps I use on my GPSMAP 67 on Mac or PC.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”