GPSMAP 67/67i Replacement in 2024?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
neilwoody

GPSMAP 67/67i Replacement in 2024?

Unread post by neilwoody »

Some potential GPS handheld buyers have asked whether Garmin is likely to bring out a new handheld in 2024, a GPSMAP 87 or 87 (I)? I think not. The 67 and 67i were released less than a year ago. I think Garmin is focused on software and firmware updates to address some of the issues and bugs of those handhelds. Moreover, Garmin seems to be focusing their development and promotional efforts on GPS watches rather than handhelds.
RickN55

Re: GPSMAP 67/67i Replacement in 2024?

Unread post by RickN55 »

I can't see them bringing a new handheld out for the 67 just yet which only came out last March? They usually keep the handhelds out for 2-3 years looking at past models? Only one they may update is the 65s?

But going back to the 67 I don't see what else they can do to make a new model desirable other than solar charging which most people me included are not bothered with, I fail to see what extra they could offer on a handheld other than fixing the huge number of bugs on the 67??? I feel the 67 is as far as a handheld can go?

Garmin seem to throw new watches out willy nilly though, I suspect they'll be a new watch out to take over from the Epix Gen 2 Pro Sapphire editions this year, especially how heavily discounted they were in all the stores last November/Decemeber! I got the Epix Pro Gen 2 51mm Sapphire for £660!
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

I would be surprised (and also disappointed) when Garmin releases a 67 series successor this year. Smart watches is where the money is at... I think the outdoor handheld category is just too niche of a market. For many "weekend warriors" a smart/sports watch and/or a phone will probably work just fine.

It would be nice if Garmin released a successor of the Oregon 700 series. That was a really popular device, good form factor and very usable for many people. The Montana 700 is just too big for just hiking and cycling (IMHO). A successor to the Montana 700 series this year would make sense as the device is almost 4 years old and due for a multi-GNSS and multi-band upgrade.

Btw, one site that often has good info on upcoming Garmin releases or rumors is the5krunner. Although it's more targeted at endurance / fitness products, sometimes a few tidbits about outdoor handhelds come along.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

When I see the number of Garmin watches, it's impressive, buyers are completely lost in these choices, there are dozens of them, which shows that Garmin favors watches rather than GPS, the fashion being fitness and jogging. In addition, dedicated GPS has taken a big hit because of smartphones and applications dedicated to hiking, people no longer buy GPS or very little.......
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
neilwoody

Unread post by neilwoody »

While I agree with mimichris's observation that fewer users are choosing handheld GPS units today because of smartphones and GPS software like Gaia GPS, there is still a viable market for the GPSMAP 67. For serious backcountry users navigating off trail in wilderness areas, smartphones are too fragile and too vulnerable to rugged terrain, wet and cold weather. Smartphones can not match the battery charge duration of the 67, especially in cold weather. Proven GPS software like ExpertGPS and Topofusion have more and better features than Gaia GPS.
Navigatorman

Unread post by Navigatorman »

Way too many people are relying on there smart phones only in the back country. They are being rescued almost every week her in western Canada. Relying on their phones for everything until they and their phones are almost dead. They don’t even take headlamps with them. Then at the last possible moment they try to call 911 for help because they have no light or map to get home. I have had Garmin a gps since the days of the gps 12. I would still pick my 67i over a smart watch for backcountry navigational use and off grid communication, there are way too many choices in the watch department in my opinion, keeping the prices higher. If possible I’d like to see an Etrex size model of an inreach device. In my opinion the messager seems like a lost cause when you could just use the mini2 instead. Still it wouldn’t surprise me to see an inreach watch soon, some big clunker on your wrist, that gets caught on everything.
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

neilwoody wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:36 pm While I agree with mimichris's observation that fewer users are choosing handheld GPS units today because of smartphones and GPS software like Gaia GPS, there is still a viable market for the GPSMAP 67. For serious backcountry users navigating off trail in wilderness areas, smartphones are too fragile and too vulnerable to rugged terrain, wet and cold weather. Smartphones can not match the battery charge duration of the 67, especially in cold weather. Proven GPS software like ExpertGPS and Topofusion have more and better features than Gaia GPS.
Phones GPS is no where near as accurate either, the elevation even the latest phones display is always way out, also phones are horrible to use in bad weather when it's raining, the screens just have a mind of their own once a drop of water goes on them! I've never used a phone for hiking personally..
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

JungleJim wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:17 pm I would be surprised (and also disappointed) when Garmin releases a 67 series successor this year.
Do you know something we don't? ;)
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

I guess there will be a 67"k", for automatic keylock :roll:
Navigatorman

Unread post by Navigatorman »

*** Improperly Formatted Hyperlink Removed ***

There are definitely new devices coming. Though they could all be watches.
Last edited by Navigatorman on Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”