Map Manager Map List Slow Response [Bug 31]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
RickN55

Map Manager Map List Slow Response [Bug 31]

Unread post by RickN55 »

Anyone else noticed how slow the map page scrolls down now since the addition of the top banner showing how much memory is left on the device and SD card? it is really slow scrolling down like you press the down button to scroll down then it is a delayed reaction then it moves down.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
JungleJim

Re: Map Manager Map List Slow Response [Bug 31]

Unread post by JungleJim »

RickN55 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:09 pm Anyone else noticed how slow the map page scrolls down now since the addition of the top banner showing how much memory is left on the device and SD card? it is really slow scrolling down like you press the down button to scroll down then it is a delayed reaction then it moves down.
Yes:
JungleJim wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:46 pm This is a new feature indeed. Scrolling through the list of available maps is very slow now though, as well for enabling and disabling maps. I have an SD card with CityNavigator EU (purchased from Garmin) and 7 OSM-based maps. TopoActive maps are on the internal memory.
Reported the issue to Garmin, they couldn’t reproduce it (???) so now in the process of providing extra information.

So I think it’s good if you report as well!
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

JungleJim wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:21 pm
RickN55 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:09 pm Anyone else noticed how slow the map page scrolls down now since the addition of the top banner showing how much memory is left on the device and SD card? it is really slow scrolling down like you press the down button to scroll down then it is a delayed reaction then it moves down.
Yes:
JungleJim wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:46 pm This is a new feature indeed. Scrolling through the list of available maps is very slow now though, as well for enabling and disabling maps. I have an SD card with CityNavigator EU (purchased from Garmin) and 7 OSM-based maps. TopoActive maps are on the internal memory.
Reported the issue to Garmin, they couldn’t reproduce it (???) so now in the process of providing extra information.

They'll probably just turn around and say it's behaving within in the tolerances and there's no issue like with the Ascent/Descent issue. I regret buying this device so much the 65s was much more accurate with the latter and zero issues or bugs.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

JungleJim wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:21 pm Yes:

Both our 67 and 67i scroll through maps nearly as quick as earlier firmware, with only a barely perceptible lag, so it appears the behavior some are reporting is not system wide, but specific to something unique on their devices, thus we strongly urge you to work through this issue closely with Garmin.

We will continue to monitor and retest, and perhaps someone will find and report what it is that causes the issue. Perhaps a specific map, the storage location, a specific microSD card model, etc. etc.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

It seems to be just an illusion. I had the same problem after reading this information and checking it in my 67. The screen scrolled slowly, I turned off all maps and left the smallest one and it was still the same. Fortunately, I still have a 66sr, for comparison, I turned it on and the map image appears after 1-2 seconds when scrolling. After the comparison test, I no longer see a speed problem with GPSMAP67. If your maps flash while scrolling, everything is OK. The speed at which the map scrolls also depends on the magnification at which you are viewing the map.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
JungleJim

It’s not the map itself that is slow in drawing. It’s in the list of maps that is displayed when you open the Map Manager where scrolling and enabling/disabling maps is sluggish.

I’ll share a video demonstrating the issue later today (can’t upload from mobile).
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

JungleJim wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:01 am It’s not the map itself that is slow in drawing. It’s in the list of maps that is displayed when you open the Map Manager where scrolling and enabling/disabling maps is sluggish.

I’ll share a video demonstrating the issue later today (can’t upload from mobile).
Yes exactly this /\, no issues with the map itself on mine, it's the "map manager" part that's slow scrolling down the list of maps. Like having a device from the 1980s how slow it is now! Should have left it on firmware 5.30!
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

GPSrChive wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:49 pm
JungleJim wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:21 pm Yes:

Both our 67 and 67i scroll through maps nearly as quick as earlier firmware, with only a barely perceptible lag, so it appears the behavior some are reporting is not system wide, but specific to something unique on their devices, thus we strongly urge you to work through this issue closely with Garmin.

We will continue to monitor and retest, and perhaps someone will find and report what it is that causes the issue. Perhaps a specific map, the storage location, a specific microSD card model, etc. etc.
I love how half the issues you never seem to have on your devices, your Garmin devices must have all been made on a good day at Garmin...
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

JungleJim wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:01 am It’s not the map itself that is slow in drawing. It’s in the list of maps that is displayed when you open the Map Manager where scrolling and enabling/disabling maps is sluggish.

I don't see a problem here either. I never press the button to scroll the maps quickly, I jump from map to map and it works normally. How many maps do you have on your list?
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
JungleJim

Here's a video displaying the issue. If you turn on the sound you can match the click when I press a button and the response of the UI.
Sluggish map manager
MapManager sluggish.mp4
Nail wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:33 am I don't see a problem here either. I never press the button to scroll the maps quickly, I jump from map to map and it works normally. How many maps do you have on your list?
The video is with TopoActive Europe in internal memory and an SD card 7 OSM based maps (Freizeitkarte, Openfietsmap and TalkyToaster) and CityNavigator EU. But I also tested with TopoActive Europe and 2-3 maps on internal memory only and the behavior was the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”