How to transfer gpx file to gps device w/o computer

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
Radeon89

How to transfer gpx file to gps device w/o computer

Unread post by Radeon89 »

Hi,

I am trying to find a way to transfer a gpx file to my gps device without the use of the computer and without Garmin Express app.

I tried to play a little bit with Garmin Express but in my phone it does not work very well and this is the reason why I need a reliable alternative to transfer gpx to the device.

I also tried to send via bluetooth a gpx file from the smartphone to the device but it does not work either.

Many thanks in advance for any tip!

Cheers
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: How to transfer gpx file to gps device w/o computer

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Radeon89 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:11 pm I tried to play a little bit with Garmin Express but in my phone it does not work very well
Garmin Express does not run on a smartphone.

Please clarify.
javawa

Unread post by javawa »

TS probably means Garmin Explore...

Garmin Connect or Explore can transfer data wirelessly, but only to supported devices. Also there are certain Connect IQ apps that can transfer data. All of these solutions don't transfer GPX files, only certain content of the files. It's not a one to one transfer, data can be altered.
You can't send files using bluetooth or Wifi, even if the Garmin device supports those wireless protocols.

There are two ways to transfer a GPX file using a smartphone:
  1. connect them using an OTG cable or adapter and transfer the file using a file manager
  2. put the data on a micro SD card (also using a file manager)
Option 1 will not work if the Garmin device is using MTP exclusively, like the GPSMAP 67. At least not with an iPhone, maybe certain Android phones can access MTP devices (mine doesn't).
Option 2 requires an SD card slot in the Garmin device (not every device has it). On the phone you can use the SD card slot inside, or a card reader connected to an OTG adapter/cable.
My Garmin GPS collection: https://www.javawa.nl/collectie.html
Radeon89

Unread post by Radeon89 »

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:22 pm
Radeon89 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:11 pm I tried to play a little bit with Garmin Express but in my phone it does not work very well
Garmin Express does not run on a smartphone.

Please clarify.
I am sorry, I meant Garmin EXPLORER!

Thanks
Last edited by Radeon89 on Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Radeon89 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:11 pm I have found this cable, what do you think about it?
link
Thanks!
This is a regular USB cable. You need what is called an OTG cable or adapter in order to access files on another device. You can then use the original USB-A to mini-USB cable that came with the GPSMAP 65.

But as javawa said it might not work on all phones.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520

Return to “GPSMAP 65”