Missing Settings Menu Options with Firmware v4.20 [Bug 9]

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex SE GPSr
kot7OpHyd

Missing Settings Menu Options with Firmware v4.20 [Bug 9]

Unread post by kot7OpHyd »

I upgraded my devices to the new firmware. Initial observations:
  • Time to bootup is much much faster.
  • Importing GPX file in NewFiles/ directory appears to have no noticeable impact on bootup time.
  • Some menuitems appear to be missing in the new firmware:
    • Settings->Recording->Data Reset
    • Settings->Map->Activities
If memory serves me right, I think we could view previous activities on the map (like a track/course) from the "Saved" menu. I don't see this option anymore in the Saved->Activities->activity menu. I'll check further when I take it out on a walk.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Missing Settings Menu Options with Firmware v4.20 [Bug 9]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We find the 'Settings > Recording > Data Reset' option is no longer available (Bug 9), however we still see the 'Settings > Map > Activities' menu option on our device.

Is it possible you do not have any activities loaded?
kot7OpHyd

Is it possible you do not have any activities loaded?
I had reset the devices after the firmware update as it had a major version change. It was not necessary; it's something I do out of habit after a major firmware update just in case there were changes in default configuration and any file data structures.

I did try saving a single activity (without any points in it), but nothing changed because of that.

You are probably right.. it may need activities with recorded tracks to show that map setting. I'll take one device out on a walk in a day or two, record a normal walking activity and see what changes.

On Settings->Recording->Data Reset, it was a confusing setting to me, and perhaps they've removed it on purpose.
kot7OpHyd

I took an eTrex SE during a walk today, and it recorded an activity track. After that the Settings->Map->Activities menu item showed up.

I was also able to browse to Saved->Activities->myactivity and view it on a map. So this part appears to be unaltered with the firmware update.

Return to “eTrex SE”