'Course Complete' While Navigating

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex SE GPSr
luvvinbird

'Course Complete' While Navigating

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Since updating to version 4.20 (GPS 2.42) a couple of days ago, I've noticed an annoying change in behavior. While navigating to a waypoint, I'll get within about 30 feet of the coordinates and navigation will automatically stop and a pop-up appears that says "Course Complete". I tried navigating to waypoints that I have named and to newly created waypoints that are left as coordinates but the result is the same. I have not changed any settings and since there was no change log with the update, I don't what Garmin has corrected since 3.51. I have not contacted Garmin about it nor have I tried navigating to a geocache or testing for any other problems, but I am curious to see what other users of this device are experiencing with this update so far.
Sibstr

Re: 'Course Complete' While Navigating

Unread post by Sibstr »

That sounds like a very annoying bug. I think I will wait with update for further experience with this fw version.
kot7OpHyd

Unread post by kot7OpHyd »

I got an email from Garmin today that they've fixed the crash when editing the glances menu in firmware 4.20. Wondering whether they've fixed the other issues too. Have to find a changelog for it.
luvvinbird

I contacted Garmin support about this problem on two occasions. The first support staff I spoke to was unable to reproduce the problem. Because my device was consistently stopping navigating to a waypoint at 30 feet from GZ with a "Course Complete" pop-up, I decided to call again. This time, I got lucky. The staff member I spoke to emailed to say she was able to reproduce the problem I was experiencing on her device, as well. I have just now sent requested Garmin Express log files and a ticket has been created to generate a fix. Apparently, it's not affecting all devices except mine (sadly) and hers (thankfully) and others, no doubt.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Did they provide a 'ticket number'?

I am wondering if perhaps this new problem is related to the following fix in the latest firmware update:
  • Fixed issue sometimes not getting a message when arriving at a destination.
luvvinbird

Other than the reference number on the emails I've been getting, I've not seen anything additional. My correspondence with Garmin Support seems very positive, I was even thanked for bringing it to their attention. I feel confident that a fix is imminent. I'll keep you posted.
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

I hope that we will not wait for a new FW with a fix for another half year...

Return to “eTrex SE”