Shutdown when pressing menu in waypoint map screen

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
JungleJim

Shutdown when pressing menu in waypoint map screen

Unread post by JungleJim »

I'd "like" to report a crash issue so that others are aware as well. Originally posted on the GPSMAP 67i forum on the Garmin Forums site. I was able to reproduce on my GPSMAP 67 with device software 6.60.

The issue is that the unit will shutdown when performing the following steps:
1. go to Map screen and enable the dashboard. I tested with Small Data Fields and Satellite, but my guess is that any dashboard will make the crash happen
2. using the Page Ribbon, go to the Main Menu (going to the Main Menu by pressing Menu twice will not trigger the shutdown)
3. open Waypoint Manager
4. open any waypoint
5. select View Map to display the waypoint on the map
6. press Menu
7. the device shuts down

The shutdown can also happen when viewing a waypoint on the Map (and pressing Menu) from Find > Waypoints but I was not able to reproduce this consistently. I also had it happen in other Map views where user data is shown (Course Planner, Recorded Activities, etc), but again not able to reproduce consistently.

It may be related to Crash 2 as reported on GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Common Issues because that also happens from a map screen?

Do others see this behaviour as well?
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
mimichris

Re: Shutdown when pressing menu in waypoint map screen

Unread post by mimichris »

On my 67 this is not the case, when I do your manipulation, I arrive at the waypoint displayed on the map, I press menu, I have the menu which appears "consult the point", "config map", etc.....
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
JungleJim

Oh that's strange, I was able to reproduce the shutdown each time I followed the steps as described.

Well at least Garmin is aware and they have created a support case for this. So fingers crossed that it will be fixed sometime in the future.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

I confirm the error.
For me it restarts after a while.

I also experienced this problem when running maps, but I can't replicate it. In this case, after restarting, all traces and courses disappeared from the device. I was terrified of this situation, but restarting 67 restored my data. I was at home then, if this had happened in the field, I wouldn't even want to think about it.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
JungleJim

Seems to be fixed in 7.60 for this specific case. Did not yet test other map screens where this issue may occur.
mimichris

Re: GPSMAP 67 Firmware 7.60

The crash bug when you open an "activity" and go to the "map page" and press "menu" no longer exists with 7.60.
mimichris

JungleJim wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:59 pm I'd "like" to report a crash issue so that others are aware as well. Originally posted on the GPSMAP 67i forum on the Garmin Forums site. I was able to reproduce on my GPSMAP 67 with device software 6.60.

The issue is that the unit will shutdown when performing the following steps:
1. go to Map screen and enable the dashboard. I tested with Small Data Fields and Satellite, but my guess is that any dashboard will make the crash happen
2. using the Page Ribbon, go to the Main Menu (going to the Main Menu by pressing Menu twice will not trigger the shutdown)
3. open Waypoint Manager
4. open any waypoint
5. select View Map to display the waypoint on the map
6. press Menu
7. the device shuts down

The shutdown can also happen when viewing a waypoint on the Map (and pressing Menu) from Find > Waypoints but I was not able to reproduce this consistently. I also had it happen in other Map views where user data is shown (Course Planner, Recorded Activities, etc), but again not able to reproduce consistently.

It may be related to Crash 2 as reported on GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Common Issues because that also happens from a map screen?

Do others see this behaviour as well?
On my 67 version 7.60, this option works without bugs.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

I don't see the problem anymore in version 7.60.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr

Return to “GPSMAP 67”