Switching off, crash and reboot

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex SE GPSr
Dunnikin

Unread post by Dunnikin »

My new SE mostly crash and restart/reboot if I switched it off. Firmware is 3.51.

I set on metric system (I'm in Germany). Saved courses shows me in „All Stats“ the Ascent and Descent in ft (Feet), not in m (Meters).

I reported it just now to Garmin like the instructions here. If I get a response I tell what happens.

Be on hope Garmin fix the issues. The last FW update is some month old. A long time. I like the little SE, it's smaller as my GPSMAP 65s, especially on the handle bar of my bike. And, very important, a lot of more battery lifetime.
Dunnikin

Re: Switching off, crash and reboot

Me again :D

Crashes and reboots more I can count, the unit is not usable. Now I initiate a return of this thing, I don‘t want a replacement.

Now I‘m using only my GPSMAP 65s, it‘s very reliable.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

At least you gave it 10 hours before throwing in the towel!
kot7OpHyd

Unread post by kot7OpHyd »

I've seen this poweroff crash several times now, where when powering off the device, after seemingly powering off it restarts immediately. It appears that something during the shutdown process crashes, causing the device to restart.

I've not been able to find a deterministic way to reproduce it though, so there has been no bug report to Garmin. But definitely the reported crash occurs.
Dunnikin

If I show the sunrise and sunset screen, going back, crash. With the Moon page the same. Switch off, crash. View a geocache, crash. View the compass, going back, crash. View a waypoint with a other Garmin icon instead the standard flag, going back, crash. View a saved track, going back, no crash. Yeah!

Some (full) resets and reboots don‘t fix the issues. Downgrade is not possible. Installing the firmware again is not possible. Yes I throw the towel if I try to solve this problems a long full day and spent about 10 hours of my lifetime about this.

Maybe it‘s a problem update the firmware with a Mac and M1 CPU. I have done the firmware update in regular way using Garmin Express.

The SE is not a normal external drive like the GPSMAP 65s, the SE supports only MTP (Media Transfer Protocoll). This is not full supported by macOS.
Last edited by Dunnikin on Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “eTrex SE”