Is it a Problem, Method, or "feature"?

Discussion related to Garmin BaseCamp software for Windows
dmb1319

Is it a Problem, Method, or "feature"?

Unread post by dmb1319 »

I cannot remember ever recording a way point on a ride so I am unfamiliar with the process. Montana 600, BTW.

Several people who DO record way points - and are former Mapsource users - are complaining that:
* when they used Mapsource and sent their recorded tracks back to Mapsource from their GPS, the way points recorded on the ride came back to Mapsource WITH the track that was recorded when those way points were created.
* when they send recorded tracks back to Basecamp the way points recorded during the ride when that track was created do NOT come back to Basecamp WITH the tracks.

They have to send the way points back to Basecamp separately. AND they have to be careful to send them back to the same track list where they sent the track or they still do not appear in Basecamp with the track. I tried this on a short ride yesterday. I recorded a track as I rode and marked 7 way points during the ride. After the ride, I sent the track back to an empty track list in Basecamp. when I looked at the track list, the track was there, but no way points.

So the question is (are):
Is this a problem? SHOULD the way points come back to Basecamp with the track they were recorded with

Is this a matter of method, ie either HOW the way points are recorded or HOW they are sent back to Basecamp from the GPSr?

Or, is this a "feature" of Basecamp to keep the tracks and way points recorded with them separate for some reason?

Or, something else?
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Is it a Problem, Method, or "feature"?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

dmb1319 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 am I cannot remember ever recording a way point on a ride so I am unfamiliar with the process. Montana 600, BTW.

Several people who DO record way points - and are former Mapsource users - are complaining that:
* when they used Mapsource and sent their recorded tracks back to Mapsource from their GPS, the way points recorded on the ride came back to Mapsource WITH the track that was recorded when those way points were created.
* when they send recorded tracks back to Basecamp the way points recorded during the ride when that track was created do NOT come back to Basecamp WITH the tracks.

They have to send the way points back to Basecamp separately. AND they have to be careful to send them back to the same track list where they sent the track or they still do not appear in Basecamp with the track.
This is not completely accurate.

ALL data in BaseCamp is stored in the same place, regardless of lists and folders. Lists and List Folders are simply collections of shortcuts used to group data in the main database together based on a desired theme. Each individual data (tracklog, waypoint, etc.) can be 'saved' in as many lists and/or list folders as desired. Just understand, the data is not being duplicated, but rather a 'shortcut' to the actual data is being saved in the list or list folder.
dmb1319 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 amI tried this on a short ride yesterday. I recorded a track as I rode and marked 7 way points during the ride. After the ride, I sent the track back to an empty track list in Basecamp. when I looked at the track list, the track was there, but no way points.

Is this a problem? SHOULD the way points come back to Basecamp with the track they were recorded with
No. Sending track logs in not sending waypoints, and vice versa. Send what you want, expect nothing more (or less).
dmb1319 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 amIs this a matter of method, ie either HOW the way points are recorded or HOW they are sent back to Basecamp from the GPSr?
Only a matter of you deciding what data you want sent in what direction.
dmb1319 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 amOr, is this a "feature" of Basecamp to keep the tracks and way points recorded with them separate for some reason?
All BaseCamp data is stored 'together'. You make lists and list folders to organize your data into groups as you see fit.
dmb1319

Re: Is it a Problem, Method, or "feature"?

Unread post by dmb1319 »

This is not completely accurate.

ALL data in BaseCamp is stored in the same place, regardless of lists and folders. Lists and List Folders are simply collections of shortcuts used to group data in the main database together based on a desired theme. Each individual data (tracklog, waypoint, etc.) can be 'saved' in as many lists and/or list folders as desired. Just understand, the data is not being duplicated, but rather a 'shortcut' to the actual data is being saved in the list or list folder.
Understood - C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\BaseCamp\Database\4.6\AllData.gdb in my case. BUT! that is once that data is IN Basecamp.
dmb1319 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:33 amI tried this on a short ride yesterday. I recorded a track as I rode and marked 7 way points during the ride. After the ride, I sent the track back to an empty track list in Basecamp. when I looked at the track list, the track was there, but no way points.

No. Sending track logs in not sending waypoints, and vice versa. Send what you want, expect nothing more (or less).
BINGO! Me with light flashing above. The light just came on and the elevator went to the top floor! Select/mark the track AND the way points and send the whole lot back to Basecamp. What WAS I thinking when I tried this!?
THANK you for flipping the switch!
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!

Return to “BaseCamp (PC)”