Battery connector broken

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
asprin624

Re: Battery connector broken

Unread post by asprin624 »

I do a hell of a lot of hiking by myself and with groups of people.
We are are all day long hiking in the woods and geocaching.
Been able to go 3 or 4 days straight on one set of batteries.
If you want to go longer on your batteries you can switch to Expedition Mode.
Expedition Mode places the GPSMAP 66sr into a low power state and can extend battery life up to 21 days.
Only GPS (L1) satellites are used while Expedition Mode is active (Multi-GNSS and Multi-Band are disabled).
The Status LED next to the power button will flash green once every 5 seconds to indicate Expedition Mode is active.

I have no idea how you have your 66 setup.

If I use it in my car I am running on the car battery via the the old cigarette light power and have no need to use the batteries in the 66.

The adapter is the one that goes between the 2 batteries that lets you charge the 66 without having to take the batteries out.

In the GPSrChive store

Garmin NiMH Battery Pack (with the adapter)
or
GPSrChive NiMH Adapter (sold alone to be used on other chargeable batteries.
Wombo

Re: Battery connector broken

Unread post by Wombo »

asprin624 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:59 am Why are you charging your batteries that many time per week?
I can go days of heavy use and still have lots of power left in my batteries even if I let it sit for weeks without using the 66.
Why not? The quoted battery life is "up to" 16 hours. If you used it for an 8 hour day they would be half empty so putting in a fresh set for the next day is entirely reasonable. And if you only used it for 3 days in a week there is the 3 replacements already.
How you may choose to use your device was not the question asked.

asprin624 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:59 am You no that charging batteries to many times does reduce it's life cycle.
That is not correct in this case, the data you are quoting refers to full charges and in this case it's partial charges. Life of the chemicals is related to the overall total charge capacity and (other than other common factors like charge temperature) it makes no difference in this use case how that amount is broken up over time.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”