eTrex SE GPX limits

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex SE GPSr
kot7OpHyd

eTrex SE GPX limits

Unread post by kot7OpHyd »

I use only Linux and am unable to use any Garmin apps. However, I've used GPSMAPs and other Garmin devices for a long time as they allow usage from Linux without using any proprietary tools:
  • Adding open maps by placing *.img files the Garmin/ directory of internal storage or a MicroSD card.
  • Updating firmware by placing the GCD file in Garmin/GUPDATE.GCD.
  • Add tracks, routes, and waypoints by using the open GPX format and placing files in the Garmin/GPX/ directory of internal storage or a MicroSD card.
Using the textual GPX format is incredibly useful, and I can maintain my waypoints, tracks, and routes in a git repository.

The eTrex SE is currently on sale on Amazon for ~USD 125 in my country and I'd like to buy one but I want to know what the limits of eTrex SE's support for GPX are, because they appear to be very limited per the specification.
  • What is the maximum number of GPX files allowed to be placed in the "NewFiles" directory?
  • What is the maximum number of <wpt>s allowed among all GPX files?
  • What is the maximum number of <wpt>s allowed in a single GPX file?
  • What is the maximum number of <trk>s allowed among all GPX files?
  • What is the maximum number of <trkpt>s allowed among all GPX files?
  • What is the maximum number of <trk>s allowed in a single GPX file?
  • What is the maximum number of <trkpt>s allowed in a single GPX file?
  • What is the maximum number of <rte>s allowed among all GPX files?
  • What is the maximum number of <rtept>s allowed among all GPX files?
  • What is the maximum number of <rte>s allowed in a single GPX file?
  • What is the maximum number of <rtept>s allowed in a single GPX file?
I've read the information the following pages:

*** edited to conform with forum posting guidelines ***
Spoiler
They mention limits and answer some of my questions, but they don't exactly answer all my questions above and so I'm asking if anyone would please test their device and let me know how far they can stretch it. I bet this information would be useful to others too, as the main way of loading trail paths from various public websites would be via GPX files that are synced in some way (either using Garmin apps, or copied via MTP) to the device.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: eTrex SE GPX limits

Unread post by GPSrChive »

To address your first question, and possibly several others, any files placed in the Garmin\New Files\ directory are moved to internal database memory during the next boot sequence. These files will no longer be available via file explorer. If any files do remain after the boot sequence, it is likely that either insufficient internal memory remained to import the data in the file, or the file is not a supported format.

The FIT and GPX limits listed at GPSrChive > eTrex SE > Specifications are the only values published by Garmin. You will have to experiment with the individual XML tags to find those limits, if any exist.
nipsufn

Unread post by nipsufn »

My usecase scenario is somewhat similar, though focuses on "trk" objects, so far I've found out (FW version 3.51, afaik latest at the time of writing):
  • there is a limit of 10 tracks, looks to be irrelevant whether they are in one .gpx file or multiple. I would guess same (that is limits count across all .gpx files) is true for waypoints and routes,
  • "trk" objects containing more than 500 "trkpt"s are loaded but simplified by silently dropping (random?) points on display. Usage of multiple "trkseg" objects has no impact. I wrote a small tool to split that data in .gpx files generated by online maps and the sort,
  • I've used "rte" object once as test, I can't recall the limit, but unlike "trk" the device will display a message if you hit "rtept" limit.
Unlike @GPSrChive, I kept my .gpx in GARMIN\GPX directory, it stays there.

If you are considering buying one, it seems that there are either some faulty units on market or some bugs in firmware. There are a few reports floating on this forum and I had similar experience.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

nipsufn wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:47 pm Unlike @GPSrChive, I kept my .gpx in GARMIN\GPX directory, it stays there.
We never indicated we didn't have GPX data there.

The OP asked specifically about the 'New Files' folder, so that is what we addressed in our reply.

:mrgreen:
kot7OpHyd

Hi nipsufn

Thank you for responding with the results of your usage. It's exactly the type of info I am looking for. Much appreciated!
nipsufn wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:47 pm My usecase scenario is somewhat similar, though focuses on "trk" objects, so far I've found out (FW version 3.51, afaik latest at the time of writing):
  • there is a limit of 10 tracks, looks to be irrelevant whether they are in one .gpx file or multiple. I would guess same (that is limits count across all .gpx files) is true for waypoints and routes,
  • "trk" objects containing more than 500 "trkpt"s are loaded but simplified by silently dropping (random?) points on display. Usage of multiple "trkseg" objects has no impact. I wrote a small tool to split that data in .gpx files generated by online maps and the sort,
  • I've used "rte" object once as test, I can't recall the limit, but unlike "trk" the device will display a message if you hit "rtept" limit.
After posting, I also contacted Garmin product support, and a helpful staffer responded with the following email:
There are no limitations for files, but the eTrex SE has its own limitations:

When sending or creating files for an eTrex® SE outdoor handheld, keep in mind the following limitations:
  • 1,000 waypoints
  • 50 courses, 200 points per course
  • Activities: limited only by storage space available on the eTrex
  • Unlimited points per activity (limited only by storage space available on the eTrex)
  • 250 geocaches (including 25 live geocaches)
  • Ability to add maps unsupported
When importing GPX files, limitations will vary depending on the types of data included and how the files are imported. For more details, see - eTrex SE: Transferring GPX Files to Your Device [in the manual].
It appears that there are separate limits for what you put in the "NewFiles" directory and what you put in the "GPX" directory. The section in the manual about GPX files possibly has this "GPX" directory limits. To me, what's interesting is that activities (which I think is the word used for tracks on this device) are mainly limited by storage space when put in the "NewFiles" directory according to the Garmin response, from where they are probably imported/moved to the "Saved" menu. Possibly there is auto-removal of track points as you mentioned from your experience.
nipsufn wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:47 pm If you are considering buying one, it seems that there are either some faulty units on market or some bugs in firmware. There are a few reports floating on this forum and I had similar experience.
I have already ordered units after getting a response from Garmin. Please would you describe what your experience with problems were for this device?
nipsufn

Unread post by nipsufn »

My bad about the "New Files" folder, I saw XML tags and got a bit too excited :)
I've not noticed that option while reading manual and support pages, I'll have to try it when I have a working device.

I've had freezes while displaying position and recording an "Activity" that required hard restarts (always resulted in part of activity missing, usually I had starting point, gap with astronomical speed, and then normal path recorded from moment of reboot till end of activity) and situations where I had to shut the device down twice - it automatically restarted after first shutdown. Both seemingly random.
Support, while polite, was adamant it was fault of malformed .gpx files until it happened again without them. They wouldn't narrow down limits in terms of XML tags or check one of such files for errors. Ultimately they forwarded issue to internal dev team.
Then, recently, the device got stuck in a boot loop. I've contacted them again and it looks like I'll be sending the device back for a repair or replacement shortly - I like the device and I hope to use it.
kot7OpHyd

Thank you for the info nipsufn. I'm sorry to hear of the problems with your device. I hope Garmin addresses these issues soon for you. After all the reports of intermittent reboots, surely they know what the problem is by now. I am guessing it has something to do with track logging based on various comments. I hope a firmware update is coming to address it.

Return to “eTrex SE”