Page sequence configuration failure [Bug 23]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 65 series GPSr
kot7OpHyd

Page sequence configuration failure [Bug 23]

Unread post by kot7OpHyd »

Hi all

I have a new GPSMAP 65s device running firmware version 4.60. When re-arranging pages in Main Menu -> Setup -> Page Sequence, by clicking on an existing page and selecting "Move" which changes the page name's colour to red, and then moving the page up and down in the sequence using the cursor buttons, the UI sometimes appears to replace the marked page (red) with some other page. It doesn't occur consistently every time, but it happens frequently enough to be noticeable.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Page sequence configuration failure [Bug 23]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

As 4.60 has not been published by Garmin, we are only able to test with 4.50, the most current published firmware version, and as of yet, we have been unable to reproduce.

Can you list the exact pages you have enabled, and the order in which they are listed? (Good)

Perhaps you can make a short video of the display when this behavior occurs? (Better)
kot7OpHyd

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:41 pm Can you list the exact pages you have enabled, and the order in which they are listed? (Good)
  • Map
  • Satellite
  • Compass
  • Trip Computer
  • Elevation Plot
  • Active Route
For example, try to move "Active Route" upwards quickly after selecting it (red). The bug is that the selected entry (red) switches to some other page name.
GPSrChive wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:41 pm Perhaps you can make a short video of the display when this behavior occurs? (Better)
See the attached video. In this, I attempt to move the menu item "Active Route" upwards. Instead of moving "Active Route" upwards, it has changed the selected menu item to "Elevation Plot".

As it is non-deterministic, you may have to try this a few times to reproduce it. It may be reproducible with firmware 4.50 too.

*** edited to conform with forum posting guidelines ***
video
PXL_20231009_171900525.TS.mp4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

In the video I can see that when you moved the 'Active Route' page up one position, it didn't change to 'some other page name', but rather the device highlighted the page that was already in that position in Red instead of showing the page you had selected.

I wonder what happens if you press 'Enter' at the end of that video?
  1. Does the Active Route page move to that position?
  2. Does the Elevation Plot page move down, or disappear from the list?
  3. Does the Elevation Plot page change from red to normal?
  4. Does nothing happen?
kot7OpHyd

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:51 pmIn the video I can see that when you moved the 'Active Route' page up one position, it didn't change to 'some other page name', but rather the device highlighted the page that was already in that position in Red instead of showing the page you had selected.
True, when moving using cursor keys it appears to move the selection sometimes, rather than the selected item to the next item.

But I don't see consistent behaviour. It happens non-deterministically. Sometimes it behaves normally. Sometimes it moves the selected item in one direction (downwards) and moves the selection in the other direction (upwards). So if you move upwards and downwards, it's moving multiple pages around.

I cannot tell you what happens in that specific video's example as the place where it starts misbehaving is random, however, generally when I press Enter after the misbehavior, it sets the page order to whatever was on the screen.
Last edited by kot7OpHyd on Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Certainly something is not quite right, and Garmin software engineers have been notified.
kot7OpHyd

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:47 am Certainly something is not quite right, and Garmin software engineers have been notified.
Thank you for reporting it to Garmin.
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

I can't see the video? I just tried re arranging it on my 65s running 4.60 and it all seemed to work ok.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Video can downloaded from post above then played manually using your favorite media player, or you can select the Bug 23 video link from the GPSrChive > GPSMAP 65 > Common Issues page and it should play automatically.

Return to “GPSMAP 65”