Saving Track Portion?

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
LostAgain

Saving Track Portion?

Unread post by LostAgain »

Hello All,

I'm unable to save a track portion on the Montana 700 from the current recorded activity.
With my Montana 610 it was profile specific and would only work on certain profiles, but with the 700 I've tried all the profiles and all the activities and it does not seem to work.

The only options I get after tapping "Save Portion" are the option to select the first track segment to save, which displays the entire track's details and after I tap that it says select the last track segment to save and only displays the full track details again.
If I tap that, it then goes straight to the option to choose a name, and once done it then exports the entire track.

Every other Garmin device I've saved track portions on gives the option to put a cursor on the start and finish of the section desired to be saved.

I'm either doing something wrong or it can't be done.
How do you people save a track portion on a 700?
Can a track portion be saved somehow on the Montana 700?

1st pic where I tap Save Portion, to get that option I tap the 3 line menu at the top of the Current Activity page.
2nd pic all that's displayed as the first track segment to save.
3rd pic all that's displayed as the last track segment to save.
Spoiler
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Saving Track Portion?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

LostAgain wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:04 pm Every other Garmin device I've saved track portions on gives the option to put a cursor on the start and finish of the section desired to be saved.
Please provide examples of Garmin models that offer that implementation of this feature.

I am unaware of any modern Garmin Outdoor devices that operate in the manner you suggest.

LostAgain wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:04 pm I'm either doing something wrong or it can't be done.
How do you people save a track portion on a 700?
Can a track portion be saved somehow on the Montana 700?
Yes, it is done just as you have indicated, and as demonstrated at GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Main Menu > Recording Controls > Save Partial.

In your example, it appears you have only a single track portion to choose from. This is because you have only recorded a single, continuous, uninterrupted section of track.

If you configure Setup > Recording > Auto Pause = On and/or manually pause and restart the recording at desired locations, your list of track portions will include more sections.
LostAgain

GPSrChive wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:57 pm
Please provide examples of Garmin models that offer that implementation of this feature.

I am unaware of any modern Garmin Outdoor devices that operate in the manner you suggest.
Oh dear, I cannot :shock:
Seems I'm still stuck in the past, only with my old yellow GPS 60 do I get that option :?
Don't ever get old people, things are not always what they seem :| :mrgreen:
GPSrChive wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:57 pmIn your example, it appears you have only a single track portion to choose from. This is because you have only recorded a single, continuous, uninterrupted section of track.
Correct, I thought I could save a portion of it on the device, guess it's off to the GPX Editor instead.
GPSrChive wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:57 pmIf you configure Setup > Recording > Auto Pause = On and/or manually pause and restart the recording at desired locations, your list of track portions will include more sections.
I might try manually pausing and restarting next time, never thought of that.
I know with my 610, setting Auto Pause to On used to mess up the total trip details for a journey, and the damn annoying message that couldn't be disabled saying it had paused used to irk me considerably.
Haven't tried auto pause on the 700 yet.
Trip details like time moving, time stopped etc., for record keeping purposes I need those to be accurate for the entire journey/s, so hopefully a quick pause and resume will allow me to have some portions to choose from and not mess up the entire trip details.

Thanks again for the help.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

LostAgain wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:15 am Oh dear, I cannot :shock:
Seems I'm still stuck in the past, only with my old yellow GPS 60 do I get that option :?
Fantastic! I have very limited experience with this model!
GPS 60 Save Track
GPS 60 Save Track.png

LostAgain wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:15 am Don't ever get old people, things are not always what they seem :| :mrgreen:
Too Late!

LostAgain wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:15 am I might try manually pausing and restarting next time, never thought of that.
I would commonly do this when mapping trail systems etc at each trail intersection, but everyone has their own workflow that works best for them!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LostAgain

GPSrChive wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:44 am Fantastic! I have very limited experience with this model!
GPS 60 Save Track
GPS 60 Save Track.png
Yeah that's it, they are a great model I believe, simple but very reliable, they come with a whopping 1MB of memory for storage and can handle 500 waypoints :mrgreen:
I've had one I bought new since about 2005 I think, scrounged another up on fleabay for a good price about 3 or 4 years ago, both work perfectly.
I see the Garmin Australia site still lists them as estimated availability is 5 – 8 weeks.
Spoiler
But Garmin US says they're discontinued.
Spoiler

Return to “Montana 7x0”