Can a Drive letter be assigned to a GPS?

Discussion related to Garmin Alpha 300/300i GPSr
KiwiGPS

Can a Drive letter be assigned to a GPS?

Unread post by KiwiGPS »

Many Garmin hand helds such as the Alpha 300i do not show as a Drive letter when connected to a PC (I don't know about Mac). Instead the actual model name appears in the list of Drives. Screen shots are attached.

BaseCamp sees it OK but MapSource does not. Neither does JaVaWa Device Manager.

Some programmes such as my mapping one require a drive letter. Is there a way to make the GPS appear as a drive letter? Thank you.

*** edited to conform with forum guidelines ***
Spoiler
1 This PC.JPG
2 Alpha 300i.JPG
3 GPS Internal Storage.JPG
4 Garmin Folder.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JungleJim

Re: Can a Drive letter be assigned to a GPS?

Unread post by JungleJim »

This is probably due to the device only supporting Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) when communicating via USB instead of Mass Storage Mode. Newer Garmin devices only support MTP. This has the effect that applications not updated for MTP won't recognise the Garmin.

I'm not familiar with the Alpha 300i, but you might want to look in the System settings to see if there's an option to change from MTP mode to Mass storage mode.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
KiwiGPS

Unread post by KiwiGPS »

Thank you. The Alpha is very much like the 67 series but the menu and hardware are heavily modified for dog tracking via the Garmin collars.
In the Display menu is the option to either be Prompted or Always connect as Mass Storage.
Spoiler
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
However I also found when going to get these screen shots that if the unit is already switched on and a USB cable is connected then this option pops up:
Spoiler
1.jpeg
I'd not seen that before as I'm in the habit of connecting the USB cable before switching the unit on.

Thanks to another post here Re: GPSMAP 67 - No USB Mass Storage Mode, only MTP? I've downloaded MTPDrive. I mapped the GPS as Drive O. Now my map programme (MapToaster) and JaVaWa Device Manager connect. MTPDrive has to be started each time - I think. Went to find the Purchase Price but that page says "Temporarily unavailable...".
Spoiler
5 Drive O.JPG
That's a shame as it looks like the Registered version will automatically connect: FAQ Q6: Automatic mapping does work not in full (registered) version.
I've emailed to see if the Purchase will be available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KiwiGPS

Unread post by KiwiGPS »

MTPDrive replied quickly saying that payment should be available on Monday. A link to pay $50 via Stripe was also included. I don't know if that's US and per year or whatever - will have to ask.
KiwiGPS

Unread post by KiwiGPS »

The price is US$ and is until further notice - Here's the info I was sent:

Purchase a license to unlock the full potential of the MTPdrive:
Features available in the registered version:
Automatic mapping of a device to a drive letter without asking fordrive mapping details
Mapping via Command-Line
Unlimited number of transferred files
Unlimited number of concurrently mapped MTP devices
Configurable cache size
Registering entitles you to receive all updates of the MTPdrive for free (until further notice).
Pricing
1 user $49.95 per user
2-4 users $44.95 per user
5-24 users $39.95 per user
25-99 users $34.95 per user
100+ users $29.95 per user
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

KiwiGPS wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:32 am I mapped the GPS as Drive O. Now my map programme (MapToaster) and JaVaWa Device Manager connect. MTPDrive has to be started each time - I think. Went to find the Purchase Price but that page says "Temporarily unavailable...".
The trial version does not allow the use of JavaWa for GPSMAP67, it only sees the microSD card. But for the card it says it is not FAT32. I can see the maps on the card and can edit them as much as it allows JavaWa.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
KiwiGPS

Unread post by KiwiGPS »

Sorry for the error - you are quite correct. I just tried the Alpha 300i again and it gives the (Not Responding) message a short way into the Collecting Date screen.

Return to “Alpha 300”