67 v 65s turn on time to lowest GPS Accuracy

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
RickN55

67 v 65s turn on time to lowest GPS Accuracy

Unread post by RickN55 »

I've noticed everytime I test my 67 and 65 the 65 always beats the 67 in getting to 6 feet accuracy indoors and outdoors when turned on. The 67 seems to like to take it's time to get to 6 feet accuracy. And also the Beidou sats seem to flash a lot.
Does anyone else have these two devices and can test theirs?
Spoiler
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
luvvinbird

Re: 67 v 65s turn on time to lowest GPS Accuracy

Unread post by luvvinbird »

I noticed you had no reply as yet so, just for fun, I timed my 67, 65s, and 66sr from turning on to 6ft accuracy. I'm not sure how or why your using the info but the results I got show unbelievable speed as compared to my 60cx back in the day, lol. The test was inside my home with each device placed one foot from a window. Sunny day, warm and clear sky. All devices have current CPE.BIN and multi-band is activated. All devices latched on to satellites within seconds and I continued timing until 6ft accuracy was displayed. The results: 65s 29 seconds, 66sr 27 seconds, 67 1 min 13 seconds.
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

RickN55 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:22 pm I've noticed everytime I test my 67 and 65 the 65 always beats the 67 in getting to 6 feet accuracy indoors and outdoors when turned on. The 67 seems to like to take it's time to get to 6 feet accuracy. And also the Beidou sats seem to flash a lot.
Spoiler
In my part of the world (Ontario, Canada) the 4th. satellite system QZSS is not detected by either the 65s or 66sr. But the BEIDOU system is detected by the 67. That is likely the reason for the extra time taken by the 67, sorting through those many satellites. You knew that, right? A fun test, though showing off the incredible speeds today.
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

luvvinbird wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:05 am
RickN55 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:22 pm I've noticed everytime I test my 67 and 65 the 65 always beats the 67 in getting to 6 feet accuracy indoors and outdoors when turned on. The 67 seems to like to take it's time to get to 6 feet accuracy. And also the Beidou sats seem to flash a lot.
Spoiler
In my part of the world (Ontario, Canada) the 4th. satellite system QZSS is not detected by either the 65s or 66sr. But the BEIDOU system is detected by the 67. That is likely the reason for the extra time taken by the 67, sorting through those many satellites. You knew that, right? A fun test, though showing off the incredible speeds today.
Thank you for the reply. So it's not just my 67 then I was just wondering if other 67s take so long to get to 6feet as my 65s is so fast. I just wanted to check my 67 wasn't a lemon before I am outside of the returns time frame. I think it may be down to the Beidou Satellites that seem to take ages to stop flashing. GPS, Glonass and Galilleo pick up instantly with no flashing. Maybe future updates by Garmin will sort it and make it quicker. Great bit of kit though the 67 I am very happy with it.

I am in the UK, I pick the same up GPS, Gallileo, Glonass and Beidou. No QZSS or IRNSS here either.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

mine with an updated CPE file only takes a few seconds to display 1.8m.....
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
neilwoody

Unread post by neilwoody »

Outside, with a clear view of the sky and an updated CPE file, my 67 takes 15 - 20 seconds to reach its 6 foot "best" accuracy.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

This "Cold Boot to Maximum Accuracy' time is going to vary greatly based on any number of environmental variables as well as how long it has been since the last time the device was powered up and how much the GNSS constellations have changed since that time.

We just started ours for the first time in several days and the time to 6ft accuracy was about 45 seconds.

Then we powered it off, waited a couple minutes, and powered it back on.

This time 6ft accuracy was 'instantaneous' once the boot process was completed and satellite page was opened, so less than 20 seconds.

Do not get too hung up on this minor detail.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”