Crashes which alter the operating system

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
rhh

Crashes which alter the operating system

Unread post by rhh »

I have been having frequent (once a week) crashes, for example the Montana (700i) will suddenly start to lock up whenever I attempt to create a course and try to enter any waypoint. Turning the device off and restarting it does not cure the problem. If I again try to create a course, as soon as I try to enter a waypoint it locks up again. Only a complete reset will restore normal operation.

When I do a complete reset, it functions just fine for several days, but eventually something will cause it to freeze, and thereafter, it will not operate correctly.

I'm beginning to think I have a unit with something inherently wrong, such as some sort of hardware issue, rather than just bugs in the soft/firmware.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Crashes which alter the operating system

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Firmware version?

Source of waypoint being added to course?

Existing course or new course?

Steps to reproduce?
rhh

Re: Crashes which alter the operating system

Unread post by rhh »

Firmware version is 16.70. I was having the same issue with the prior version.

Source of the waypoint is from waypoint manager. Once this first occurs, it does not seem to matter which waypoint is selected, the unit locks up as soon as any waypoint is selected while trying to create a new course.

Lockup occurs when attempting to create a new course.

I have not been able to determine what sets this off. While operating normally, I will notice something abnormal occurs, for example the unit turns off unexpectedly, and after that first happens, other unexpected things happen, such as the lockup when trying to create a new course.

The locking up seems to be more of a symptom of an error being introduced into the software. Once the error has happened, the unit also displays other odd behavior such as loss of satellite signal, which never occurs otherwise, and unexpectedly turning off with no warning.

Return to “Montana 7x0”