Restoring original map configuration?

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 7x0 series GPSr
rhh

Restoring original map configuration?

Unread post by rhh »

Is there a way to restore the original maps that came preloaded on the Montana?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Restoring original map configuration?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Depends on what you mean by 'Original Map Configuration'.

Do you want the original version of the maps that were preloaded?

Or do you want the current version of the originally loaded maps?

What maps are loaded now?

What happened to the maps that were originally loaded to your device?
rhh

Unread post by rhh »

Good questions! I'll try to relate what's happened! It's a long story, both confusing and painful!

It started when I got an update notice from Garmin Express to install an update to (I think!) a City Navigator map. Attempting to follow the not so clear instructions on Express, I attempted the update, but received a notification that the update failed due to insufficient memory.

I tried to remedy this by what I thought was moving a map from the onboard memory to the removable memory card located under the battery, which is a Garmin preloaded Topo 24K West map on a memory card. Apparently this was a bad idea! I then went through the City Navigator update again, and it seemed to complete successfully.

When I restarted the Montana, I discovered that I had no access to any of the former topographic maps, only several versions of City Navigator. After an unsuccessful chat session with Garmin, and some troubleshooting on my own, I was prompted by Garmin Express to do some sort of map management, the exact details I can't quite remember. Whatever It was, it appears to have made the original Topo maps available again. They now show up in the list of maps available when you open map manager.

What I think I would like to do at this point, is to put the map mess back to the original list of maps that came loaded on the Montana, probably with any appropriate updates to those maps. I may have screwed up the preloaded 24K Topo West memory card, but I would be happy just getting the Montana itself back to original configuration!

The question of what maps were and are now on the Montana will take some work to compile, as it is not clear to me. There are 8 different titles listed in "map manager", and a large number of .img files listed when you look at the Garmin memory listing using a PC. I assume they are related, but I'm not sure how. I will try to gather this info and add to this post in a day or two.
rhh

Unread post by rhh »

Maps currently visible in "Map Manager":

Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR
TOPO US 24K North Central V3 - East
CN North America NT 2024.10
TopoActive NA, Middle America 2023.10
TopoActive NA, Canada/Alaska 2023.10
CN North America NT 2024.10 ALL US
CN North America NT 2024.10 ALL Canada & Mexico
TOPO US 24K North Central V3 - West

I have no way to recreate what the original list of maps that came loaded on my Garmin was.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for all the additional information!

As you now know from experience, Garmin Express Map Manager can be quite a disaster. You are quite lucky it was able to get your Montana back to the state it is now in.

Based on your description, you must have either the 700i or 750i, as the 700 did not come preloaded with CityNavigator maps.

Your map list looks pretty good for a 'stock configuration'. Of course, the TOPO 24k maps are on the installed microSD card, and not part of the factory setup.

If all maps seem to display properly on the device, I think you have successfully worked your way out of what can and has become a real nightmare for some users.

Congratulations!
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:11 am If all maps seem to display properly on the device, I think you have successfully worked your way out of what can and has become a real nightmare for some users.

Congratulations!
Backup! Before you start making changes. Another backup after changes. For devices other than GPSMAP 67, the irreplaceable "JaVaWa Device Manager".
Spoiler
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
rhh

Unread post by rhh »

What is the backup you are referring to? How do I do this?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

rhh

Unread post by rhh »

GPSrChive > Montana 7x0 > Operation > Backup

The link you are taken to when you click on the above appears to be incorrect, but the path as listed looks ok.

How do you then use this to "restore"? I would assume you can just copy the backup, and paste it into the Montana, replacing whatever is there?

Does doing so put the device back to the configuration (maps, settings etc.) it was in when you made the backup copy?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you, link is fixed!

Return to “Montana 7x0”