Favourite OSM maps and styles?

Discussion related to all OSM based maps for Garmin GPSr
JungleJim

Favourite OSM maps and styles?

Unread post by JungleJim »

There are a lot of good quality free OSM based maps available for Garmin devices. I was wondering what everybody's favourite OSM-based map and styles are?

Personally I like Freizeitkarte outdoor style for hiking, and OpenFietsMap for cycling. For online maps, I like Thunderforest Outdoors and it would be great if the same style were available for use on a GPSMAP 67 :)

But I'm interested in what others think, so please share your thoughts here!
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Nail

Re: Favourite OSM maps and styles?

Unread post by Nail »

I recommend map clippings from bbbike, an OSM map layer made for cyclists.
However, it is very good for hiking.
The difference between other maps and BBBike is the magnification at which you can see the details. Freizeitkarte you have to zoom in more to see the path and it is necessary to move the screen around to see if this path is a good choice.
Spoiler
osmap.jpg
In fact, there is no tourist layer on Garmin devices, you have to combine with transparent img overlays.

Another place where you can find updated maps for Garmin and BaseCamp is the website opentopomap. You don't have to wait for map updates from Garmin, everything is up to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
JungleJim

Nail wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:12 am The difference between other maps and BBBike is the magnification at which you can see the details. Freizeitkarte you have to zoom in more to see the path and it is necessary to move the screen around to see if this path is a good choice.
Interesting, I never noticed that, worth looking further into for the areas that I visit. It sounds more convenient indeed to have the trails visible at a lower zoom level.
Nail wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:12 am Another place where you can find updated maps for Garmin and BaseCamp is the website opentopomap. You don't have to wait for map updates from Garmin, everything is up to.
Thanks, I have used these as well in the past, but in someway I cannot get used to the map style they are using...
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

Maybe this will interest you.
OSM wiki
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
JungleJim

Thanks for the link, maybe I can find some other interesting maps from that list!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I have tested just about every OSM map available, and based on my preferences and the way I use my Garmin GPSr, I find the GMapTool OSM Topo maps look and work the best for me.

FYI - links to most of these maps (and more) are available at GPSrChive > How To... > Maps.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:13 pm I have tested just about every OSM map available, and based on my preferences and the way I use my Garmin GPSr, I find the GMapTool OSM Topo maps look and work the best for me.

FYI - links to most of these maps (and more) are available at GPSrChive > How To... > Maps.
Polish roots, colleagues from the "Garniak" forum made a huge contribution to the promotion of Garmin devices, own maps and applications. The creator of the forum is dead, a huge loss to the Garmin user community.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

There is a small fee but I use Talkytoaster maps that are based off OSM data. Very clear mapping his overlay looks the best. Does maps for all over the world.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
JungleJim

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:13 pm I have tested just about every OSM map available, and based on my preferences and the way I use my Garmin GPSr, I find the GMapTool OSM Topo maps look and work the best for me.
Looks interesting but unfortunately no maps available for Europe (except Poland). But might be good to use when visiting USA or Africa!
RickN55 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:20 pm There is a small fee but I use Talkytoaster maps that are based off OSM data. Very clear mapping his overlay looks the best. Does maps for all over the world.
These might indeed be worth checking out, judging from the screenshots it looks like a very usable map style!
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

JungleJim wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:03 pm
Looks interesting but unfortunately no maps available for Europe (except Poland). But might be good to use when visiting USA or Africa!
RickN55 wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:20 pm There is a small fee but I use Talkytoaster maps that are based off OSM data. Very clear mapping his overlay looks the best. Does maps for all over the world.
These might indeed be worth checking out, judging from the screenshots it looks like a very usable map style!
Plus the beauty with his maps, if something isn't quite spot on you can go on OSM adjust it accordingly for the next update. Which is every Friday if it's the British Isles map and monthly for other countries. Well worth the money.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.

Return to “OSM Maps”