New Tread and GPS user

Discussion related to the Garmin Tread, Tread SxS, Tread Overland, and Tread Overland XL Powersport Navigators
Dubes1414

New Tread and GPS user

Unread post by Dubes1414 »

Hello,

I’m new to the tread and creating tracks and routes in a gps. I have a few questions. One is, if I want to map all the trails in an outdoor area, what’s the best way to do that? If I drive over an area twice, will the GPS know or will that mess up the tracking. Is it best to make a bunch of short tracks and ask the gps to route through them to find the fastest point from a to b or do I need to pick my route each time by punching in different tracks? I’d really like to just drive all over and have the gps save the tracks and route through them like roads but I’m guessing it’s not that easy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: New Tread and GPS user

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Welcome to GPSrChive!

If you are new to GPS, Garmin GPS, and the Tread, you need to know you are not going to master its operation in a weekend. Or a month. There will be a constant learning curve to work through, so don't get discouraged too easily. Just get out there and start experimenting with your Tread to see how it works.

Make certain you visit GPSrChive > How To... and read through each section to familiarize yourself with how these devices work.

By definition, a Track is a record of where you have been, and a Route is a pre-defined series of points to follow from Start to Finish. Tracks do not provide turn by turn directions, but Routes do.

Make sure you have the Tread fully updated with the latest firmware and maps.

Do any of the trails you want to 'record' already appear in the default Maps loaded to the Tread?

Return to “Tread”