GPX & FIT Files - Original vs Edited

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Przekątny

Re: GPX & FIT Files - Original vs Edited

Unread post by Przekątny »

mimichris wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:54 am I did not find in the original Garmin files in GPX.
Your files contain " creator="Garmin Explore App" - Gpsmap 66sr and <gpx creator="CompeGPS" - Gpsmap 67, these are not files downloaded directly from the device.
jlg2

Unread post by jlg2 »

GPSrChive wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:45 am This post has gone way off topic.

If you are not analyzing the file created by the device, on the device, you are not using the original source material.

Please start a new post to discuss what constitutes original and what does not.
I wish you would expand on that. I am not an expert. My assumptions may be wrong. I assume everything relevant to the device comparison under discussion involves arrays of real numbers stored by the devices then transferred to a computer. I don't see how the medium storing the numbers could matter. I would not expect any loss of precision from rounding or base change in the transfer process or .fit/.gpx translation to be significant. And I assume the processors in these handheld devices are not capable of any greater precision than modern PCs provide to software like Basecamp, Excel, Mathematica, etc.
Last edited by jlg2 on Wed May 31, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkHL

Re: Hiking with 67i, 66sr & 66i

Unread post by MarkHL »

GPSrChive wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:00 am
MarkHL wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:42 am ... follow up from above
The GPX data file that is exported from a Garmin Fit data file in Garmin Connect is identical to the GPX data file saved on the 67 in addition to the FIT file.
They most certainly are not.
Looking at the track, they appeared to have the same number of points in the same relative locations, but you are correct the files are not the same. The FIT file has many more significant digits on the track points and the file is certainly structured in a different format.
jlg2

Unread post by jlg2 »

*** Please See Forum Guidelines for Proper Hyperlink Formatting ***

This link to a page on GPS-Wizard's GitHub account may be helpful regarding the concern about whether file formats, storage media, transfers, etc. have any bearing on Matt16598's very helpful device comparison. To save you the trouble of getting out your calculator the arc-length of the 1°/10^7 GPX resolution cited there is always less than 12cm at the earth's surface. That is more precise than any of the devices Matt16598 tested. So if GPS-Wizard is correct and I'm not overlooking some important factor, the concerns about a data gremlin in Matt16598 comparisons are misplaced.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Przekątny wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:33 am
mimichris wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:54 am I did not find in the original Garmin files in GPX.
Your files contain " creator="Garmin Explore App" - Gpsmap 66sr and <gpx creator="CompeGPS" - Gpsmap 67, these are not files downloaded directly from the device.
Below is a direct GPX of the 67, I don't see the name of the type of GPS, the 67 for example. So we don't know if it comes from the 66sr or the 67 ? Or else I see nothing!
Spoiler
Tracé_2023-05-12 11.15.20.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
Przekątny

mimichris wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:06 am
Przekątny wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:33 am
Below is a direct GPX of the 67, I don't see the name of the type of GPS, the 67 for example. So we don't know if it comes from the 66sr or the 67 ? Or else I see nothing!
Spoiler
Tracé_2023-05-12 11.15.20.rar
Screenshot of the attached file.
Spoiler
Track.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Przekątny

@ mimichris
The file you uploaded is not an activity log file,
<name>Cabrières 7Km 232m</name> is an inappropriate name for an activity log file.

The archived current trace should be named in the following format:
<name>2023-04-28 11:24:22</name>

The file may be the result of a gpx file conversion on the Gpsmap 67 device.
mimichris

OK, thanks, I don't see clearly..... Whatever its name, it is very original and extracted from my 67, it was not read by any software and then recorded. There is no CompeGPS or Garmin Explorer.

Too bad the name of the GPS does not appear in BaseCamp in the points window.
Przekątny

mimichris wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:35 am OK, thanks, I don't see clearly..... Whatever its name, it is very original and extracted from my 67, it was not read by any software and then recorded. There is no CompeGPS or Garmin Explorer.

Too bad the name of the GPS does not appear in BaseCamp in the points window.
It's "very original" in a way.

The file is from Gpsmap 67, but the data contained in the file, in my opinion, was not created in Gpsmap 67.

The data is dated 2022, you did not have GPSmap 67 at that time.

Leg Time (Stage time ) and Leg Speed ( Stage speed) are missing from the record.
mimichris

Strange that the name GPSMAP67 is added to an old track, I don't have any other because I go through Garmin Explore to download them and sometimes they are automatically deleted from the GPS (a bug?), because if I connect the GPS to the PC I no longer find them in Archive. I have FITs but I can't read them with the bolc-note.
GPXs loaded with Garmin Explore don't have the name of the GPS, that's why I couldn't find it.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”