Can 66s/st stopwatch record lap by distance?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr

Can 66s/st stopwatch record lap by distance?

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
On some garmin devices (etrex 32x, watches) when using the stopwatch it has an option to count laps by distance, some also have an option to alarm recurrently every so often (by distance, say every 1 km).
On the 66s/st (firmware 9.90) the option to use the stopwatch to record a new lap by distance does not exist, it seems only possible by manual press. Enabling or disabling Activity sync does not change the options.

Is this a correct observation or have i missed how it works and that it is enabled from elsewhere?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Can 66s/st stopwatch record lap by distance?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I also seem to remember using this feature on Garmin devices a long time ago, but cannot seem to remember which devices had the option. After looking over quite a few 'modern' Garmin GPSr, none seem to have this available. Likely you will need a dedicated 'Fitness' device to have this functionality.

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
I will answer my own question. By accident playing around with the settings i found how it works.

The setting to enable record lap by distance on 66s/st is found under
Menu -> setup -> fitness -> Auto lap.

This placement was not intuitive to me, but makes sense now that i know it.
Note: on units which does not have the concept of Activity (such as etrex 32x), the setting is within the stopwatch.

Anyhow, for the setting of Fitness -> Auto lap.
If Auto lap is off, then it is off everywhere; activity and stopwatch.

If auto lap is turned on, one specifies the lap distance and the following happens:

For Activities (controlled by Recording controls).
When activity is recording, every time the set up lap distance is travelled, a pop-up message will appear on the screen saying that auto-lap occurred.
In case a message beep is set up in Menu -> Setup -> Tones -> Message beep, then the unit will also sound that beep when the auto lap happens.

For the stopwatch (with activity sync disabled).
When started, the stopwatch will auto-increase the number of laps and restart the lap distance counter from 0 every time the lap distance is travelled.
The stop watch will never sound the message beep, nor display pop-up messages.

If the Activity is recording, the stopwatch has the activity sync disabled and one starts the stopwatch. one will still see messages popping up saying that auto-lap occurred, but these are from the activity, The stop watch does not pop up any messages, nor sounds. The two meters/counter run in parallel.
If the Activity is paused or stopped, there wont be any pop-up messages nor sounds while using the stop watch.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you 987 for the detailed explanation!
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

I am not saying you could not use a GPSMAP 66 to count your laps.
But having a bulky GPSMAP 66 in your hand or on a belt clip is a bit cumbersome.
There are far better Garmin watches that do job and are lightweight on your wrist.
I do not see my son in-law running his laps with any handheld much less using the GPSMAP 66 handheld.....
It is far easier to check your lap times while running by looking at what ever watch fits your needs.

I am not saying that you can not use the GPSMAP 66 for that but there are a lot better gps's you can use for fitness tracking.

But that is just my opinion..........

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
I agree and even i don't expect too many persons taking the 66s/st in hand while running.
This is also a reason why it took me so long to understand that the auto lap setting is under Fitness settings menu.

Still, i think the auto lap can make sense while doing other activities. Hiking, walking, cycling, skiing, maybe others. If the unit is in a pocket or a bag, it can be of help to hear a beep every time the specified distance is passed.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”