Do Non-Garmin Maps Work?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
RickN55

Do Non-Garmin Maps Work?

Unread post by RickN55 »

Do non genuine map SD cards work in the 67? Or does it show the "Maps can't be authenticated" message on start up? Reason I ask is I have Ordinance Survey UK maps I purchased off eBay on an SD Card in my 64s just wondered if they'll work in the 67?
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Do Non-Garmin Maps Work?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Maps that are locked to a specific device serial number will not work in any other device. Maps sold on microSD card from Garmin are locked to the microSD card, and can be used in most Garmin devices. Downloaded Garmin Maps are locked to the first device they are installed to. Third-party maps will depend on the map author.

Please see GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Maps or GPSrChive > How To... > Maps for additional details.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

If you are in France you have an official BD Topo IGN website exactly like Topo France V6 but free and non-routable, it's here:
Spoiler
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

It's the OS v2 maps I want to work on it alongside Talkytoaster maps.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Buying the TOPO Great Britain v2 PRO from Garmin seems to be the only way to get these maps working on the 67. If you buy it as SD card then you can use it on any compatible Garmin device. If you buy it as download, it will only work on the device you first download the maps to.

All other unofficially unlocked Garmin maps that can be found on the internet will apparently not work due to new protections implemented by Garmin. These cannot be patched at the time of writing because the firmware is encrypted.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

If you use maps from websites that use OSMap, I recommend free maps at
Spoiler
They work without problems on 67. The advantage is that you can download a slice of the area that interests you. Another advantage of these maps is the visibility of paths at low zoom.
Spoiler
BBBike.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neilwoody

Unread post by neilwoody »

I have been able to use Topofusion software to install scaleable USGS 7.5 maps on my 67 using the custom maps feature.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Nail wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:23 am If you use maps from websites that use OSMap, I recommend free maps at
Spoiler
Do be sure to use the '(latin1)' selections for Garmin devices.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:30 pm
Nail wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:23 am If you use maps from websites that use OSMap, I recommend free maps at
Spoiler
Do be sure to use the '(latin1)' selections for Garmin devices.
That's why I posted the cheat sheet
Spoiler
BBBike.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

JungleJim wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:02 am Buying the TOPO Great Britain v2 PRO from Garmin seems to be the only way to get these maps working on the 67. If you buy it as SD card then you can use it on any compatible Garmin device. If you buy it as download, it will only work on the device you first download the maps to.

All other unofficially unlocked Garmin maps that can be found on the internet will apparently not work due to new protections implemented by Garmin. These cannot be patched at the time of writing because the firmware is encrypted.
Yes seems the only way with the 67. Tho I can't justify £300 on the OS maps which are basically just a digital photograph. :shock:

Return to “GPSMAP 67”