Do Non-Garmin Maps Work?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Slowcoach

Re: Do Non-Garmin Maps Work?

Unread post by Slowcoach »

I was unable to use my old OS maps on my new gpsmap67. Talkytoaster maps work perfectly and after reading a lot about mapping issues I have bought and downloaded mapping fro John Thorn ..GBopen. The benefit of this mapping is that it differentiates between POW, other paths, bridleways by colour. Talky Toaster £12, GBopen £15.
hager

Unread post by hager »

Yes, it does work with e.g compiled OpenStreetMap that you either compile yourself or download pre-compiled free at

*** please review forum posting guidelines ***
Spoiler
Just download your map of choice, unzip the gmapsupp.img into Garmin-folder of the internal memory OR SD-card (re-name if you need multiple maps, e.g gmapsupp_roadmap_FR.img). Has worked flawless on all my Garmin GPS (Oregon 450t, GPSMAP 78s, Oregon 650t and GPSMAP 67).

Best regards

hager
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

JungleJim wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:02 am Buying the TOPO Great Britain v2 PRO from Garmin seems to be the only way to get these maps working on the 67. If you buy it as SD card then you can use it on any compatible Garmin device. If you buy it as download, it will only work on the device you first download the maps to.

All other unofficially unlocked Garmin maps that can be found on the internet will apparently not work due to new protections implemented by Garmin. These cannot be patched at the time of writing because the firmware is encrypted.
I read on a French forum that those who already have Garmin maps purchased from Garmin, on an old GPS cannot use them on a new Garmin GPS, they are restricted on the first use, whether they are downloaded or on µSD.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

mimichris wrote: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:28 am
I read on a French forum that those who already have Garmin maps purchased from Garmin, on an old GPS cannot use them on a new Garmin GPS, they are restricted on the first use, whether they are downloaded or on µSD.
Garmin maps purchased on microSD cards are locked to the card and can be used with any compatible device.

See GPSrChive > How To... > Maps for additional details.
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

mimichris wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:53 pm
JungleJim wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:02 am Buying the TOPO Great Britain v2 PRO from Garmin seems to be the only way to get these maps working on the 67. If you buy it as SD card then you can use it on any compatible Garmin device. If you buy it as download, it will only work on the device you first download the maps to.

All other unofficially unlocked Garmin maps that can be found on the internet will apparently not work due to new protections implemented by Garmin. These cannot be patched at the time of writing because the firmware is encrypted.
Well I'm on my third GPSMAP 67 after several returns to Garmin for button wear and I can confirm the genuine Garmin maps on SD Cards will work on any device, it's the one time downloads that are coded to only work on the device that it was downloaded on. Can never get my head around why anyone would choose this option on purchase over the SD Card option.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.
RickN55

Unread post by RickN55 »

Slowcoach wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:43 pm I was unable to use my old OS maps on my new gpsmap67. Talkytoaster maps work perfectly and after reading a lot about mapping issues I have bought and downloaded mapping fro John Thorn ..GBopen. The benefit of this mapping is that it differentiates between POW, other paths, bridleways by colour. Talky Toaster £12, GBopen £15.
I've heard good stuff about Thorns map, is it easy to download I went on the website a few months back and couldn't see a clear way of paying and downloading?
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 65s (sold), GPSMAP 64s (sold), GPSMAP 62s, GPSMAP 60CSx, Edge 1040, Fenix 6x Pro (sold), Epix Gen2 Pro Sapphire 51mm.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”