My GPSMAP 67 Perfect Track

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
mimichris

Re: My GPSMAP 67 Perfect Track

Unread post by mimichris »

Nail wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:32 am
MarkHL wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:29 pm I'm not sure the 67 is a less accurate instrument, only that it lays a less detailed track. The issue may not be the "point" accuracy but a how the software interprets the point. From previous posts, it appears the 67 has improved nesting interpretation and doesn't wander from a static location to the extent that previous models have. So, the software may be excluding points that it has low confidence in. The same thing may be occurring when it represents a track on the device as a straight line versus a more detailed path. It may not have confidence in a particular point that if used may have given the track more detail. So previous models may have represented a more detailed track, but not necessary more accurate.
Today I checked the shared tracks again and there is a big difference in the number of points (66sr 3948) vs (67 4569) 16% more has GPSMAP 67. Your explanation is true for 66sr, not 67. 67 fills the track with randomly placed points, as for of which he is not sure and corrects from time to time to the right point. Therefore, 67 is still within the assumed error corridor. The track GPSMAP 67 is not detailed or accurate, more added points do not confirm it at all. I still believe that processes 67 do not run continuously.
I actually didn't mention that I had the 66sr set up with 3 seconds between each track point and thought about it a little later while hiking and set it up with 1 second. That's why there's this discrepancy in the number of points.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
mimichris

In any case for me, the two are identical, and it is normal that there are differences between the two, it is not the same GPS chip and the management may not be the same.
But as we know that the standard for hiking GPS is more or less 2m or even 3m in the precision of the tracks, I can say that the deviations from the track are really minimal.
mimichris

Nail wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:41 pm
mimichris wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:38 pm I just did 5.5km, with the 66sr and the 67, I took one second for the recording interval, in fact it's ideal, the two tracks overlap perfectly, nothing to say.
Track 67 is not perfect. The 67 does not keep a straight track compared to the 66sr.
I had the same when I took two devices, 67 was like after three beers.
The 67 has a lot of other advantages, but the 66r is better here. Garmin still needs to work on accuracy a bit. I hope it will be soon, then I will go back to 67.
Spoiler
67vs66sr30.jpg
Have you measured the differences, the biggest error between the two does not exceed 6m and it is within 2/3% of the time, for me it is exceptional. Find a public GPS that can do the same.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

mimichris wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:55 am
Have you measured the differences, the biggest error between the two does not exceed 6m and it is within 2/3% of the time, for me it is exceptional. Find a public GPS that can do the same.
We are still comparing 66sr vs 67, I will not compare other devices.
If these effects satisfy you, then fine, I'm not going to change it.
Not only me but also other users of 66sr and 67, Admin of this forum also that the accuracy of 67 should be refined.
mimichris

You know just like me that a GPS chip unless it is in differential (DGPS) to have values close to cm, but look for the standard of the value of the precision of a general public GPS like the Garmin can be , (it is given between 2m and a few meters) afterwards it is software precision and the signal is artificially tampered with.
Ask yourself the question, do we need more precision to go on the paths and trails, for me, no. The main thing is to find yourself if you get lost. I never got lost with a GPS even an older generation, but after the release of the SA by Clinton because it gave 100m of precision and the signal was deliberately unstable.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

mimichris wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:37 pm
Ask yourself the question, do we need more precision to go on the paths and trails, for me, no. The main thing is to find yourself if you get lost. I never got lost with a GPS even an older generation, but after the release of the SA by Clinton because it gave 100m of precision and the signal was deliberately unstable.
You chose the title of this topic yourself ;) , and I challenged it.
Now you're saying we don't need a better GPS.
Since you already had a very good 66sr, you rather wanted a better one when buying a new 67.
I use GPS for specific purposes, I was hoping that the track would be better than the 66sr. The new GPSMAP has a new chipset and additional satellites on board, which should result in greater accuracy. This precision seems to be maintained but not for all points. I think it shows in your track. My tests also confirmed that the 66sr creates a better track.

Let's skip your satisfaction, it's important to you and that's fine. People should be happy if they spend their money.

Let's be cold and emotionless to compare the two devices, this topic is about the track, so only tests can show the superiority of one track over the other.
Simple test Walk at a good pace in an open space along a straight line. It can be the edge of a pedestrian walkway ect.
It doesn't matter if the track will be within the margin of error.
Show us the result.
mimichris

I can't say anything other than all the articles I've read concerning the accuracy of commercial GPS, I'm not making this up, they are given for 1 to 2m. I base it on that. Find a GPS better than this precision, even the U-blox ZED-F9P multi-band chips are not more precise (1.5m) except in DGPS where we reach the cm.
But in a fixed position, not walking, of course.
I will do a stationary test on an IGN terminal which has an accuracy of 10cm, recording a waypoint and averaging for a long time with the 67.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

mimichris wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:57 am I can't say anything other than all the articles I've read concerning the accuracy of commercial GPS, I'm not making this up, they are given for 1 to 2m. I base it on that. Find a GPS better than this precision, even the U-blox ZED-F9P multi-band chips are not more precise (1.5m) except in DGPS where we reach the cm.
But in a fixed position, not walking, of course.
I will do a stationary test on an IGN terminal which has an accuracy of 10cm, recording a waypoint and averaging for a long time with the 67.
The theme is "perfect track", so let's not talk about perfect point.
I'm not talking about the 1-2 m error and what processes are taking place in the devices. I focus on the final visual effect of the track.
The only thing that can be done on this subject is a test in a straight line. Then you will see two tracks that can be compared.
Unless you are afraid of the result :roll: .
You've probably seen my test already, but I'll show it again.
Spoiler
67vs66sr13.jpg
Test performed on two devices at the same time, both connected and carried in hands, taking care not to sway.
I walked perfectly along the line marked by the paving tiles.
I can honestly say that the 66sr creates a perfect track.
My tests were not meant to discredit 67, on the contrary, I wanted to prove to myself every time that I had spent my money well. You know how it ended.
Only people who have both devices like the author of the topic can compare both.
In this whole discussion, I want Garmin to also take into account the quality of the track. They added a new constellation so it should be better. I see something else and prove it.
If they fix it, it will also be good for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mimichris

For me, the precision is quite sufficient for my hikes, what can an error of 1 to 2m do on the ground, I am not a purist for that. Especially since these two GPS are in the standard.
Afterwards, everyone has their tastes.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

mimichris wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:06 pm For me, the precision is quite sufficient for my hikes, what can an error of 1 to 2m do on the ground, I am not a purist for that. Especially since these two GPS are in the standard.
Afterwards, everyone has their tastes.
Next time, try to be more careful with the topic title.
1-2 m is a standard track, consistent with the manufacturer's assumptions, not perfect.
Perfect means it's better than standard.
Have a nice weekend.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”