Key Lock: GPSMAP 66sr vs GPSMAP 67

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
mimichris

Key Lock: GPSMAP 66sr vs GPSMAP 67

Unread post by mimichris »

66sr Key Lock:
when i lock the keys and the screen turns off due to the power saver, i turn it back on with a short press on/off and the keys are still active. But still idle when the screen is off, I can't turn the screen back on with a touch.

Key Lock 67:
When I lock the keys and the screen turns off due to the energy saver, I turn it back on by briefly pressing the on/off key and the keys are still locked, never active like on the 66sr. And I can't turn the screen back on with a touch.

It's still a bug compared to the 66sr.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
JungleJim

Re: Key Lock: GPSMAP 66sr vs GPSMAP 67

Unread post by JungleJim »

Maybe I don't understand what you have written, but I'm seeing different behaviour on my 67 (firmware 4.80).

Backlight Timeout set to 1 minute, Always On Display set to Off, Expedition mode set to Never.

Then I lock the keys by pressing power button and selecting Lock Keys.

Display is still on (timeout has not expired yet). When I press a button I get the message that keys are locked.

Wait for 1 minute and the screen goes off. When pressing a button (other than power) nothing happens. When I press the power button the screen turns back on and the Key Lock is disabled.

When Keys are not Locked, any button (including the power button) will turn the screen back on when the timeout has expired.

I actually like this better than the behaviour on the 66sr where only the power button would turn the screen back on when the timeout had expired and keys were not locked (if I remember correctly).
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

If the screen goes off, while the Keys are locked, then you have to press on/off button twice or press any other key first and then the on/off button to unlock the keys.
JungleJim

Ah I see know, the behaviour is indeed a bit strange on the 67.

1) enable key lock, wait to have screen turn off, press power button: screen turns back on but keys are still locked, requiring a second press of the power button to enable keys
2) enable key lock, wait to have screen turn off, press key other than power button (screen stays off) and then press power button: screen turns on and key lock is disabled

It would make more sense to create consistent behaviour by always having to press the power button to enable the screen and then a second press to disable key lock.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

JungleJim wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:39 pm Ah I see know, the behaviour is indeed a bit strange on the 67.

1) enable key lock, wait to have screen turn off, press power button: screen turns back on but keys are still locked, requiring a second press of the power button to enable keys
2) enable key lock, wait to have screen turn off, press key other than power button (screen stays off) and then press power button: screen turns on and key lock is disabled
In my opinion, this is good because it allows the user to choose the desired behavior based on key press sequence.
  1. Good for users that may simply want to wake the display long enough to review the active page without worrying about any accidental key presses making unwanted changes. It should be noted that this behavior only occurs if the power button is pressed a short time after pressing any other key.
  2. Good for users that want to wake the display and unlock the keys as quickly and efficiently as possible.
JungleJim

GPSrChive wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:50 pm In my opinion, this is good because it allows the user to choose the desired behavior based on key press sequence.
  1. Good for users that may simply want to wake the display long enough to review the active page without worrying about any accidental key presses making unwanted changes. It should be noted that this behavior only occurs if the power button is pressed a short time after pressing any other key.
  2. Good for users that want to wake the display and unlock the keys as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Yeah I agree it allows both scenario's but then again I think it's not very intuitive nor well explained in the manual.

Would two presses of the power button (and wake screen with power button only when keys are not locked) not be more consistent? Since the front buttons are easily accidentally pressed it would lead to unexpected disable of key lock when pressing the power button.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

JungleJim wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:54 pm Yeah I agree it allows both scenario's but then again I think it's not very intuitive nor well explained in the manual.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Garmin!
JungleJim wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:54 pm Would two presses of the power button (and wake screen with power button only when keys are not locked) not be more consistent? Since the front buttons are easily accidentally pressed it would lead to unexpected disable of key lock when pressing the power button.
Yes, this would be more intuitive and consistent.

What I believe is happening:

Since the device is still awake and running even when the key lock is active and the screen is disabled, pressing any key other than the power button activates the "Keypad is locked. Press the power key to unlock keypad." pop-up message, which can not be seen because the screen is off. Pressing the Power button while this message is 'silently' displayed results in two actions: A. The keylock is disabled, and B. The screen is turned on.

I'll forward this information to the Garmin Software Engineers so they can determine if they want to refine this 'logic'.
JungleJim

GPSrChive wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:06 pm What I believe is happening:

Since the device is still awake and running even when the key lock is active and the screen is disabled, pressing any key other than the power button activates the "Keypad is locked. Press the power key to unlock keypad." pop-up message, which can not be seen because the screen is off. Pressing the Power button while this message is 'silently' displayed results in two actions: A. The keylock is disabled, and B. The screen is turned on.

I'll forward this information to the Garmin Software Engineers so they can determine if they want to refine this 'logic'.
Agree, I also believe what is happening is what you describe. I actually sometimes, depending on how fast after each other you press the buttons, see the message that the Keys are Locked and that a press of the Power Button is needed.

And thanks for passing along this info to Garmin!
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

The best option would just to refine the setup options and give us the possiblity of both. 67 mode or 66sr mode, where you have an automatical keypadlock.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Personally I prefer that of the 66sr, in fact the keys are locked only when the 66sr is in standby, screen off, it avoids turning it on when you put it in a pocket, but when you wake up the screen the keys are not more locked.
There is no other manipulation to go and see other pages.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”