Crash when pushing 'Menu' button in 'Active Weather' page [Crash 2]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
hansi_61

Crash when pushing 'Menu' button in 'Active Weather' page [Crash 2]

Unread post by hansi_61 »

Unfortunately, I had to notice a (software ?) bug in the 'Active Weather' feature on my GPSMAP 67i device (SW version 4.80):
When pushing the 'Menu' button on one of the four register pages with maps (rain, clouds, temperature, wind), the device always crashes and restarts.
Anyone else with similar observations out there?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Crash when pushing 'Menu' button in 'Active Weather' page [Crash 2]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We are unable to reproduce on our GPSMAP 67/67i v4.80.

Do you have Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi enabled when this happens?

What is the default language? (try using English and retest - then share result)

If still having same issue, perhaps upload a short video for us to examine.

Thank you!
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

I don't have this problem, on my city page I have the data for the day and the following days as well as the temperatures, but the following pages it shows the map but no data.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
hansi_61

Dear all,

thank you for your instant replys and the valuable hints:
1. Changing the language to English doesn't change the game.
2. Whether only Bluethooth or Bluetooth and WiFi are connected, also doesn't play a role.

As you can see in the attached short video sequence, the app itself is working fine. When scrolling through the registers the weather data are updated to the latest state.

On the first register with the weather overview data, pushing the 'Menu' button works fine. I get the option 'Manage Locations'.

When pushing the 'Menu' button on one of the other registers (e.g. the rain radar in the video), the device crashes and restarts. It seems to me as if Garmin forgot to program a 'dead end' here, i.e. 'no options available' for the 'Menu' button push.

I noticed the issue since my standard way to get from any app back to the 'Main Menu' is the double-click on 'Menu'. And obviously, it didn't work in the reported case.

Hopefully, the additional information will help you further in trying to reproduce and understand the issue.

*** edited to comply with forum guidelines ***
Video
Crash of 67i in Active Weather.mp4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mimichris

hansi_61 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:30 am Dear all,

thank you for your instant replys and the valuable hints:
1. Changing the language to English doesn't change the game.
2. Whether only Bluethooth or Bluetooth and WiFi are connected, also doesn't play a role.

As you can see in the attached short video sequence, the app itself is working fine. When scrolling through the registers the weather data are updated to the latest state.

On the first register with the weather overview data, pushing the 'Menu' button works fine. I get the option 'Manage Locations'.

When pushing the 'Menu' button on one of the other registers (e.g. the rain radar in the video), the device crashes and restarts. It seems to me as if Garmin forgot to program a 'dead end' here, i.e. 'no options available' for the 'Menu' button push.

I noticed the issue since my standard way to get from any app back to the 'Main Menu' is the double-click on 'Menu'. And obviously, it didn't work in the reported case.

Hopefully, the additional information will help you further in trying to reproduce and understand the issue.

*** edited to comply with forum guidelines ***
Video
Crash of 67i in Active Weather.mp4
In fact I did not understand your problem, and after watching your video I have the same problem, nothing is displayed on the following pages on the map. While on my 66sr it works fine.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

On my 67 unit (software version 4.80) I do not experience a crash when pressing the Menu button. Maybe it's an 67i specific issue?

I do notice however that the drawing of the map is very slow, when changing pages first a blank map is displayed and after a couple of seconds the map appears. But this may be due to the detail level of the non-Garmin map I'm using. I did not try with the Topo Active maps yet.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
hansi_61

@mimichris:
Thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one with similar issues. That makes me at least somehow optimistic that I'm facing (only) a software and not a hardware issue. Sooner or later, it should be fixed via a firmware update.

Meanwhile, I found out via a short Youtube video on the 66st and from the nice tutorial here on gpsrchive that there should be well an option when pushing the menu button on the 'mapped' forecast registers, i.e. playing an animation of the weather like you know it from weather apps on the smartphone. I wasn't aware of that potential option since there is nothing mentioned about it in the official manual by Garmin.

As recommended in the forum tutorials, I will also report the issue directly to the garmin support (in US ;) ).
hansi_61

@JungleJim:
Thanks to your comment, I made a renewed trial with 'lowest' resolution of the (TopoActive) map and shading 'off' in order to reduce the calculation power needed. The build-up of the weather graphics is indeed much faster. However, the result when pushing the 'Menu' button was the same, i.e. the device crashed again.
mimichris

Yes, it's slow, but after resetting 67, it works on all pages.
hansi_61

I would appreciate if also some 67i owners (all 66 models and also the 67 model seem to be okay) with working map animations in the 'Active Weather' app could give a short comment here. This would be helpful in order to identify whether we have to deal with a general software issue or only some individual cases. Thanks in advance for your support..

Return to “GPSMAP 67”