Storage space on Montana 680t

Discussion related to the Garmin Montana 6x0 series GPSr
garyoung

Storage space on Montana 680t

Unread post by garyoung »

Is there a way to read directly off the unit just how much storage space remains - either in the internal memory or on the microSD card? This is so I can see when to change out a full SD card and insert a new one.

I am planning a trip of several months and I want to record most of my journey but I will not have access to a computer or BaseCamp to download data. I need a way to see how much space remains so I know when to insert a new card.

Alternatively is there a way to offload or archive track data that does not require BaseCamp?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Storage space on Montana 680t

Unread post by GPSrChive »

A. Modern Garmin outdoor handheld devices do not have a function to display memory usage for the device or installed memory cards.

B. Garmin outdoor handheld devices do not save any of your recorded tracklogs or activities to external memory, only to internal memory, so swapping memory cards serves no purpose here.

C. How detailed are your tracklog recordings going to be? A typical GPX tracklog recording one new track point and associated data once per minute only uses about 150 KB for every 24 hours of recorded content. That's about 1 MB per 7-day week. If you record only 12 hours per day, that gets you nearly 2 weeks of data per MB. How many MB does your Montana 6x0 have free in internal memory now? How many days/weeks/months does that provide? You are very unlikely to run out of tracklog storage space unless you fill your internal memory completely before the trip.

You do not need BaseCamp to manage data on your Garmin GPSr, you can connect to any host computer via USB cable and transfer data from internal memory to either the microSD card, or another external memory source if/when needed.

References:

GPSrChive > Montana 6x0 > Operation > Files & Folders

GPSrChive > Montana 6x0 > Applications > Track Manager

GPSrChive > Montana 6x0 > Setup > Tracks
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

garyoung wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:56 am Is there a way to read directly off the unit just how much storage space remains - either in the internal memory or on the microSD card? This is so I can see when to change out a full SD card and insert a new one.

I am planning a trip of several months and I want to record most of my journey but I will not have access to a computer or BaseCamp to download data. I need a way to see how much space remains so I know when to insert a new card.

Alternatively is there a way to offload or archive track data that does not require BaseCamp?
The data in the device can be managed with a smartphone with the USB OTG function.

Variants of smartphone connection with a device with an SD card.

Connection via USB OTG with smartphones may be different, depending on the smartphone, data from memory and SD card may be displayed, or only data from SD cards will be displayed, and data in memory will be displayed when the SD card is removed. It depends on your smartphone software.

Make sure your smartphone has UBS - OTG function. You should be familiar with Montana's storage file structure.
garyoung

Many thanks for all the information.

The last long trip I made was a 26 day tour of the UK and my Montana was able to record the whole trip including flights there and back. This time I will be making a two month tour of the UK followed by two months in India and I'm not sure if the unit has the capacity to hold that much archived data.

I'm not familiar with USB OTG. How does this normally work?
Przekątny

garyoung wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:38 am Many thanks for all the information.

The last long trip I made was a 26 day tour of the UK and my Montana was able to record the whole trip including flights there and back. This time I will be making a two month tour of the UK followed by two months in India and I'm not sure if the unit has the capacity to hold that much archived data.

I'm not familiar with USB OTG. How does this normally work?
The UBS OTG connection often requires an adapter in the form of a cable with a plug compatible with the smartphone's USB port. In the smartphone manager connected data carriers appear.

There are also OTG drives that automatically archive data from the connected device.

There is a lot of information on the internet about UBS OTG (USB On-The-Go).
garyoung

Thank you. I will investigate.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Do be very careful when using mobile devices to make any changes to your Garmin GPSr internal files, as many users have bricked their devices in so doing. There are simply too many unknown variables between third party software providers and mobile device OS versions to guarantee desired results 100% of the time.
Przekątny

In terms of the location of the track record, the Gpsmp 60Sx has a different standard, the full track record was on the SD card, only the track record was simplified in the device.

I propose to adopt the principle, using the OTG connection, we copy the files from the device to the smartphone, after disconnecting and starting, we delete the files using the device options.

This should largely protect against accidental deletion of system files.
garyoung

If I save/archive and then clear each day's current track would that free up space in storage?
MattF

Unread post by MattF »

This doesn't help with moving track data around, but you can sort of see how much space is remaining on both the internal and the SD card

Try the camera setup menu option.

No good if you have loads of space free, but if Photo Resolution is set to 'High' / 8MP, as space goes down the number should change down from 999+

Set to 2MP it will need a lot less space available before you can see it falling.

As a quick test with around 1.4 Gb free internally and set to High / 8MP it gave 485' photos remaining - so probably starts counting down from around 3Gb?

You could always pad out a card / internal storage while you have access to a computer so you can work out which number of photos works out at what space is available.

Return to “Montana 6x0”