GPSMAP 67 RINEX data

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
mimichris

Re: GPSMAP 67 RINEX data

Unread post by mimichris »

please try to redo a Rinex recording and put it here to compare it with the one I had, to see if the management of the satellites has been improved. THANKS.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

I did a new test today, partly the same route as the previous one. But as mentioned earlier, the issues with the RINEX data are unchanged 4.80. So I think any analysis based on this data is useless as the data is incomplete and incorrect.
67 4.80 RINEX data
grmn103j36.zip
I did receive a reply from Garmin Support Netherlands, but they referred me to the ideas form on the Garmin site as they do not have sufficient technical knowledge.

Does anyone know a better way to get into touch with knowledgable people from Garmin?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
mimichris

Thanks, here is the result, there seems to be only Galileo and Glonass as satellites with an important stop.
Why are there only two satellite systems Glonass and GPS, Galileo is missing.
Spoiler
Capture-3.jpg

PS: I can't put in spoiler. *** Yes you can - Read the Forum Rules at top of page to see how ***

*** Image formatting corrected to comply with forum guidelines ***
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mimichris on Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

JungleJim wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:39 am
[...]
Does anyone know a better way to get into touch with knowledgable people from Garmin?
Some of th US support empolyees are quite good, but maybe you have to try several times to reach a good one.
mimichris

My impression is that they sacrificed accuracy to save battery power, besides there isn't even multi-band, which I can select on the graph.
mimichris

JungleJim wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:39 am I did a new test today, partly the same route as the previous one. But as mentioned earlier, the issues with the RINEX data are unchanged 4.80. So I think any analysis based on this data is useless as the data is incomplete and incorrect.
67 4.80 RINEX data
grmn103j36.zip
I did receive a reply from Garmin Support Netherlands, but they referred me to the ideas form on the Garmin site as they do not have sufficient technical knowledge.

Did you set the multi-band correctly ? Was the 67 in energy saving because it seemed to me very strange this operation?
THANKS.
JungleJim

mimichris wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:41 pm Did you set the multi-band correctly ? Was the 67 in energy saving because it seemed to me very strange this operation?
Device was in multi GNSS and multi band mode. Power saving disabled. I can do some more tests with only GPSS or multi-GNSS with multi-band off but as long as Garmin does not fix the RINEX data it will not tell us anything conclusive.
mimichris wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:10 pm Thanks, here is the result, there seems to be only Galileo and Glonass as satellites with an important stop.
Why are there only two satellite systems Glonass and GPS, Galileo is missing.
I think you cannot base any conclusions on the result in RTKPLOT for the following reasons:
  • the syntax of the satellite numbers of Galileo and BDS in the RINEX file are incorrect. So RTKLIB cannot parse this info and will not show it and therefore does not show BDS and Galileo data. If you look in the RINEX file you see Galileo data but the satellite number is just plain wrong, E4294967181 for example while it should be Enn.
  • the data in the RINEX file is not complete. For GPS, BDS and Galileo only data of a single frequency band is present. Data for the other supported bands (L5 for GPS, Galileo, B2a for BDS) is simply not there. It is however shown in the satellite page on the device so I think the device is using this data.
  • there are duplicate records for the same satellite. Probably RTKLIB will deal correctly with this, but the duplicates shouldn't be there.
So unless Garmin fixes these data issues, I think you cannot draw any meaningful conclusion about how the unit handles satellite data.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
mimichris

It's true that I don't know much about RINEX, but I see that compared to the 66sr, the data is not the same and that there are significant interruptions, which does not exist with the 66sr. however I presume that Garmin has kept the same layout of the RINEX files of the 67 and 66sr, to do with another RINEX software if it exists.
The 66sr also uses satellites that aren't properly acquired which the 67 doesn't I guess it's power saving that does that.
JungleJim

In its current form, the RINEX data for Galileo and BDS does not conform to specification and there is no L5/B2a data in the file, data that the device for sure has available (because shown on the satellite page).

You can easily see this if you open the 67 and 66sr RINEX files in a text editor, as they are simple text files.

So somewhere on the device the conversion of available GNSS data into RINEX format goes wrong.

It may be that the 67 does some “tricks” to conserve battery life, but you cannot draw this conclusion on the current RINEX data since it is invalid and incomplete :)

It would be very interesting to compare valid 67 RINEX data to what is shown on the satellite page, but at the moment this is simply not possible.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

JungleJim wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:39 am Does anyone know a better way to get into touch with knowledgable people from Garmin?
Just keep posting your observations etc. here, they have been directed to this thread.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”