Comparison 66sr and 67.

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66sr GPSr
mimichris

Comparison 66sr and 67.

Unread post by mimichris »

I did not find on Youtube any comparisons between the 66sr and the 67, there are just the two 67 and 67i, is this voluntary or an oversight? It would be interesting to see the differences, but maybe there are very few, so the comparison is pointless.

Can a owner of both make this brief comparison to see if it's worth buying a 67, it's not for me but for future buyers of the 67/67i.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
Gadwin

Re: Comparison 66sr and 67.

Unread post by Gadwin »

Here is a short comparsion. After having the 66sr for some months, the GPSMAP 67 feels sadly not like an upgrade, because of the poorer accuracy and missing automatical keypadlock. I mean seriously, the last one? Automatical keypadlock is a standard feature for every device for decades. It feels really rushed this product.

By the way, it seems that you get all Topoactive maps now for free via Garmin Express with the GPSMAP 67 unit. At least a little compensation for this unfinished product.

I am sorry if I push it really hard this aspects, but Garmin won't fix it otherwise in a short time. Look at 66sr how long they needed to fix the WiFi download of the CPE.bin file. You really have to push it and write e-mails to them.

Spoiler
garmin.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

Thank you, it already gives an idea with this comparison, which comforts me not to buy it.
What is the quality of the free topo maps with Express, are they quality maps like the Topo France V5 for example ?

DO NOT HOT LINK EXTERNAL IMAGES
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

mimichris wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:37 am Thank you, it already gives an idea with this comparison, which comforts me not to buy it.
What is the quality of the free topo maps with Express, are they quality maps like the Topo France V5 for example ?
The new Garmin Topo are maps based on OpenStreetMap.
The same are available for the 66sr.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

I suggest putting all the pros and cons on one list.
You paste the list from the previous one into the new post and update it.
Then the last entry will tell the whole truth.
If the problem is solved, we add an appropriate annotation.
Defects can be repaired and should not necessarily be a reason for withdrawing from the purchase. He hopes Garmin will visit this list and the problems will be fixed soon.
Benefits:
  • Quick start
  • Fast map refresh
  • The off-course alert can be turned on or off
Defects:
  • Poorer accuracy
  • Missing automatical keypadlock
  • slow to update position after losing satellites when regaining them again
  • Smaller screen zoom
  • "Hide Dashboard" does not work
Discover

Unread post by Discover »

Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

I did an extrended hike today and tracked with "normal" interval settings. I always locked the Keypad manually, what a pain, but it saved a lot of the battery. I almost lost just 1% (more precise 1.2%) per hour of battery life ( I recorded three tracks, which results on 6.5h tracktime). Automatical Keypadlock is a must have.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

Discover wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:12 pm
Product Comparison
It's marketing. Garmin has shown an advertising video for the new GPSMAP 67 with a flip-up AA battery door and Montana screen. You won't get either one.
Discover

Unread post by Discover »

This page only compares technical data, without marketing
Gadwin

Unread post by Gadwin »

Discover wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:25 pm This page only compares technical data, without marketing
Still the page has mistakes like that 66sr has not IRNSS, that is wrong. 66sr has IRNSS too.

Return to “GPSMAP 66sr”