eTrex SE and custom map

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex SE GPSr
Przekątny

Re: eTrex SE and custom map

Unread post by Przekątny »

Sibstr wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:58 pm That's why I'm trying to edit the integrated city map.
Maybe don't edit the map, just create a new (your own) map with the name GMAPBMAP.IMG
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

That's what I'm trying to do but it's not that simple, read the thread.
Przekątny

You assumed that map subsets must be named CITIES and F0071BLA,
you have not verified that a map with one subset and a different subset name will work on the device.
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

This has already been tried, it doesn't work. And it was to be expected because in the menu you can independently on/off Cities or Boundaries maps.
Przekątny

The fact that there was an attempt to replace the map file does not mean that the variant I wrote about has been checked. The ability to turn the city map on and off does not determine anything.

In my opinion, the F0071BLA subset is a standard base map, the CITIES subset is a transparent map, you can try to combine the F0071BLA subset with the newly created .img file
replacing the CITIES subset.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We are monitoring this discussion with great interest...

:geek:
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

Przekątny wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:38 pm The fact that there was an attempt to replace the map file does not mean that the variant I wrote about has been checked. The ability to turn the city map on and off does not determine anything.
In my opinion, the F0071BLA subset is a standard base map, the CITIES subset is a transparent map, you can try to combine the F0071BLA subset with the newly created .img file
replacing the CITIES subset.
Yea, it can be like that. As I wrote above in the thread. I can decompile the original data from the eTrex SE, I can edit the data, but I can't compile the data with the correct names "CITIES" and "F0071BLA" The SW that I have doesn't allow this because it isn't a standard name for the Garmin mapset.
So there are two possibilities. First figure out how to properly name the map ID. Second, look in the system files in the eTrex SE and try to change the map ID there to some standard one.
Both options look very complicated yet, but I don't say that it is an unsolvable problem.
Still work on it...
Przekątny

Sibstr wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:36 am So there are two possibilities. First figure out how to properly name the map ID. Second, look in the system files in the eTrex SE and try to change the map ID there to some standard one.
Both options look very complicated yet, but I don't say that it is an unsolvable problem.
Still work on it...
Why do you complicate everything so much, I wrote earlier, if you can't edit the map from the Etex SE device, create your own. You assume that the subsets must be named CITIES and F0071BLA without verifying that a map with other subset names will work on the device.
What map identifier do you want to change in the software.
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

I think there is some noise or a problem in the comunication.
I have created my own map file. But the problem isn't with editing but with file saving/compilation and it doesn't matter if I save/compile my new map or a map from eTrex SE.
No, I not suppose. I have allready tested that subsets with names other than CITIES and F0071BLA doesn't work.
Przekątny

Sibstr wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:25 pm I have created my own map file. But the problem isn't with editing but with file saving/compilation and it doesn't matter if I save/compile my new map or a map from eTrex SE.
Now I don't know if you created the maps in the .img file or not if you wrote that there is a problem with map complication.

If you have access to the Etrex SE device, I can send you a basemap created on the basis of it
Etrex SE, map with France waipoite database added.
The map as an .img file works, whether it will work in Etrex SE, I don't know.

Return to “eTrex SE”