eTrex SE and custom map

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex SE GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: eTrex SE and custom map

Unread post by GPSrChive »

eTrex SE
GMAPBMAP.IMG
Worldwide NR Small Basemap v3.00 (006-F0071-00)
006-F0071-00.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

So I looked a bit at the GMAPBMAP.IMG file, thanks for sharing it. The IMG container contains two map sheets, both covering the entire world.
The first one is called "Cities" and as the name suggests it contains cities. From the settings, it looks like the file should contain cities with a population of 5 thousand and more. But a lot depends on the specific country, some countries are densely covered, some almost not at all, the biggest differences can be seen in Europe. Great Britain, Belgium, and the Netherlands have very good coverage. Germany and Italy also have good coverage. But France, for example, has poor coverage, only a few really big cities.
The second is named "F0071BLA" and contains state borders and water (oceans, seas, great lakes). The borders of the states are not detailed, rather only indicated, and the shape of the state on the map is more for a quiz competition. Often the state is made up of just a few points connected by a line, yeah, in North America it probably doesn't matter, but in Europe it isn't good.
The good news is that the file is not locked and can be edited. So you can create a detailed map with cities, villages, farms, lonely buildings for a specific state. Yes, it will be only a points on the map but even that little can help with orientation in the terrain. The second file with the borders of the states can be also edited, but it's a little bit punk. Lines for state and provincial boundaries can be used for two types of roads. Furthermore, there are two types of water, one will remain water and the other can be changed to a forest, for example. Instead of the name of the states, you can use it for the name of region, forest, national park, etc.
It seems that a simple map can be created, but certain rules must be followed.

(please also follow the forum rules when posting images - thank you!)

Images
IMG_Container.jpg
Cities_1.jpg
Cities_2.jpg
Boundary_1.jpg
Boundary_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

Check, maybe the maps intended for Fenix will be suitable for Etrex SE.
Link
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

I have downloaded the map files for the Fenix 3 but I am not able to get them into MapSouce. I have read the "Readme" but I am not able to get a working *.img file from it. :| I have a lot of *.gmap files but what about them? I'm running out of ideas. :(
skinnie

Unread post by skinnie »

Sibstr wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:37 pm I have downloaded the map files for the Fenix 3 but I am not able to get them into MapSouce. I have read the "Readme" but I am not able to get a working *.img file from it. :| I have a lot of *.gmap files but what about them? I'm running out of ideas. :(
Not sure about mapsource, but at least for etrex 10, you install it, open basecamp, select the map, and "install map on device" with the etrex connected.
Przekątny

The map can be installed in Base Camp and MapSource.
Instruction:
"Unpack the map in a convenient place on HDD. For Windows Vista or newer to install click at batch "install_MAP.bat", where "MAP" is the name of downloaded region. Batch will create symbolic links from Garmin directory to the map. Installation process doesn't copy any files, program on PC will use your unpacked files.

Install batch automatically uninstalls previous version of the map without removing map files.

For older Windows you can install map manually. In this case you need to copy whole *.gmap directory to a valid Garmin maps directory. To find valid directories run "maps_windows.bat"."
Przekątny

I will add:
After uploading the .img file, rename the file to GMAPBMAP.IMG.
gps_techie

Unread post by gps_techie »

Trying out different maps with different features may result in progress, so it is very welcome. Currently map generation is not biggest issue yet (we will find a way once more details are available), key issue is identification of what features eTrex SE can map (and how to force it to display that).

Cities are actually visible as round points only (no stars, crosses or anything else) on eTrex SE screen (depends on a zoom level). Zooming in and out reveals/hides points. At some zoom levels points are bigger, but all points are always the same size at one time. This partly correlates with map extracts in post above. Zoom levels seem to be somehow defined in *.IMG file, this requires some attention.
In the worst case a map of interest could be generated by creating fake cities with empty names in shape of a feature you want to map. A nasty hack, but still.

BTW, all user waypoints have the same picture - flagpole. There is no selection for start/finish/house/car/... option.

I could not reproduce map borders on screen at any zoom level. This info takes some space in memory, so maybe it is used in some way? Matching with time zone perhaps?

There are some interesting files on eTrex memory.
All terms in language files terms seem to be related so eTrex SE functionality. EN file does not exist, probably is hardcoded in FW. *.ln4 can be opened with text editor.
german language terms
german.zip
manifest.txt shows file list with checksums. I have not tested if checksum is "locked" or recalculated as file contents change.
manifest file
manifest.zip
GARMIN/DATA/VIDEOS/POWERUP.MM is an intro video in a hidden catalog (not accessible for now). Potential for something custom :)
Some settings files are in *.fit format, this needs more investigation.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I'm so happy someone is digging into this model! We really like ours for what it is.
Przekątny

Sibstr wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:37 pm I have downloaded the map files for the Fenix 3 but I am not able to get them into MapSouce. I have read the "Readme" but I am not able to get a working *.img file from it. :| I have a lot of *.gmap files but what about them? I'm running out of ideas. :(
This is the easiest way:
After installing Base Camp, the OSMfenixEurope.gmap file can be copied to the ProgramData - Garmin - Maps directory, the map will be visible in Base Camp. In Base Camp: Maps - Install maps (the device does not have to be connected, an SD card in the reader is enough) - select the area (send one area for checking) - on the card in the Garmin directory, change the name of the gmapsupp.img file to gmapbmap.img, place the file in the device.
In Windows 11 you install the map by clicking on install_Europe.bat.

Return to “eTrex SE”