eTrex SE and custom map

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex SE GPSr
Sibstr

eTrex SE and custom map

Unread post by Sibstr »

I have a question about map support.
The predecessor, eTrex 10, doesn't officially support the map, but there is a way how to upload the map to it. Instructions on how to do it, for example, here:
Spoiler
Garmin says the eTrex SE doesn't support maps either, but is that true?
Is it possible to upload a map to the eTrex SE in the same or similar way like eTrex 10?
Can any owner try it, confirm it, refute it?
THX
Choopa

Re: eTrex SE and custom map

Unread post by Choopa »

Hi @Sibstr,
I tried it today. But I'm not sure how to answer. It somehow worked, but showed me finally some weired off-area navigation. So maybe I did something wrong. But I did reset my device and put the original img back into place. I won't try it for some time again.

Beep.
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

Thanks for your experience, but can you be more specific, what does "some weird off-area navigation" mean?
Do you have any screenshots?
THX
Last edited by Sibstr on Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Choopa

Unread post by Choopa »

I already reset it, so no, i don't have screenshots.
Off-navigation means:
  • I uploaded a custom map as well as a track I wanted to hike
  • At the destination area the position via gps showed (on the map in the device) that I was more than 50km off the position I should have actually been
  • Starting tracking / navigating worked well, except the fact, that the track was still 50km off, but the final tracking results based on gps data were correct
With this behaviour it doesn't make sense to me to use a custom map, since I can't follow a track/path which is 50km off ... :roll:
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Screen captures night help determine what was happening when this occurred, but based on your description it sounds like the map data you loaded was off by quite a bit.
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

This looks like a map generation problem. It would be good if someone can tested it more. I don't have an eTrex SE, yet. But with map support it looks promising.
gps_techie

Unread post by gps_techie »

Hi,

I am using Garmin eTrex 10 (with installed custom maps) and now started using eTrex SE.

Factory provided eTrex SE GMAPBMAP.IMG file contains world cities and rough borders of world map, but I could see only cities, but not country borders. Custom map did not seem to work on 1st try (i.e. did not see anything meaningful on screen).

In addition, eTrex SE has map settings to show/not show waypoints/geochaches/cities/grid lines/recording, but there is no setting with regards to mapping. IIRC, eTrex 10 has setting for showing map data.

So far I am not too optimistic about getting custom maps on eTrex SE, it feels like a deliberate downgrade compared with eTrex 10 in terms of mapping. Other functions are OK.
Sibstr

Unread post by Sibstr »

Thanks for the valuable experience and information! This is not very encouraging news. It should be change in a future fw update, maybe. It would like to explore more what SE can display and what not.
Custom city map? I assume they are just points, something like POI or not?
Would it be possible to share the original GMAPBMAP.IMG file from SE somewhere? I would try to look at the file and run it through a few SW.
Last edited by Sibstr on Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gps_techie

I suspect that eTrex SE shares many of firmware and hardware features with Garmin Instinct (Instinct 2) watch. However, Instinct is not known to show maps either. These devices are designed to show a very high contrast image for readability (thick lines, no distraction with mapping, high contrast B/W display), mapping just gets in the way.
On the other hand, eTrex 10 is the same as eTrex 20/30 except for B/W screen, but B/W also includes shades of grey in this case, which helped to show maps. Older Fenix B/W watches also could show custom maps.

I could not make eTrex SE to show either factory installed country borders or any features from custom maps yet. I think it can show it, but is is not clear how to enable it. If you have any suggestions how to show maps on Garmin eTrex SE or Garmin Instinct (Instinct 2) (or any other newer Garmin GPS with B/W screen), please post below.

BTW, I tested eTrex SE outside. First impressions - it is an improved eTrex 10. Accuracy is better due to multi-GNSS (eTrex 10 tends to wander off more), screen is very sharp and readable, back-light is nicer (more even), batteries lasts much more. But it crashed (froze up) at one point with no response from buttons, had to do a reset by removing batteries.
gps_techie

Sibstr wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:37 pm Custom city map? I assume they are just points, something like POI or not?
Basic POI/waypoints and tracks (activities/routes/... ) works, it is shown as big points or thick lines. You can upload what you like.
By a map I mean some sort of picture of forest/field/water/city block/country borderlines and shading with visible roads, gravel roads, etc. This is missing.
Would it be possible to share the original GMAPBMAP.IMG file from SE somewhere? I would try to look at the file and run it through a few SW.
Not sure if this forum allows sharing of such files, but that can be arranged. Current map has zoom level setup (i.e. cities and country borders are shown/not shown depending on zoom), maybe that should be disabled for country borders.

Return to “eTrex SE”