Poor GNSS accuracy? [Bug 8]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
MarkHL

Re: Poor GNSS accuracy? [Bug 8]

Unread post by MarkHL »

MarkHL wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:13 pm I too use overlays with transparent backgrounds. As you stated, much easier to maintain than the base map (in the example) which has a ton of data and a lot of routing nodes. But we're off subject here... My original statement was my (our) accuracy "needs" may be different from most users who merely want a GPS for navigation and the 67 does a very good job at that. However, my (Epix) watch shouldn't be out-performing my GPS with a Helix antenna.
However, with that said, here's an example from yesterday under a partial tree canopy (sunny, clear, dry conditions) where the 67 and Epix laid down similar tracks (Epix is blue, 67 is black).
Spoiler
SmartSelect_20230428_082117_Explore.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

MarkHL wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:42 pm However, with that said, here's an example from yesterday under a partial tree canopy (sunny, clear, dry conditions) where the 67 and Epix laid down similar tracks (Epix is blue, 67 is black).

Black is obviously taking shortcuts. Have you compared the length of the tracks?
Spoiler
67vs66sr27.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
MarkHL

Unread post by MarkHL »

Nail wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:15 pm
MarkHL wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:42 pm However, with that said, here's an example from yesterday under a partial tree canopy (sunny, clear, dry conditions) where the 67 and Epix laid down similar tracks (Epix is blue, 67 is black).

Black is obviously taking shortcuts. Have you compared the length of the tracks?
Spoiler
67vs66sr27.jpg
Really close (normally 0.01) difference if I'm walking. However, these tracks were laid down biking and I'm using a speed2 sensor that is doing 3D distance calculations versus the 67's straight line measurements so the Epix will be longer regardless. From my experience, I suspect two GPS's won't lay down duplicate tracks even with no obstructions. Additionally, I using Smart Mode on the Epix and 1-second on the 67, so it's apples and oranges to expect them to be the same, however, the two tracks are remarkably similar.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

In fact it depends on the parameters of the track recording, if we choose by distance or by time, personally I choose by time of 3s which means that the track follows the path perfectly and does not cut the turns, before I was by distance at 10m but it cut the turns, it is necessary to configure the two 67 and Epix in the same way otherwise the comparison is distorted.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

mimichris wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:48 am In fact it depends on the parameters of the track recording, ...., it is necessary to configure the two 67 and Epix in the same way otherwise the comparison is distorted.
Agreed.

Many watches have either 'Smart' or 'Once per Second', so the best comparison comes from setting both the watch and handheld to one track point per second.
neilwoody

Unread post by neilwoody »

I have used my 67 for about a month now and am very happy with it. In my opinion, the battery life, screen sharpness and positional accuracy are all excellent. I use ExpertGPS software to plan my off-trail routes and manage waypoints and tracks. I use Garmin Express or Garmin Connect for firmware updates and EPO/CPE updates. I evaluated the positional accuracy using the hiking trails and roads on the latest USGS 7.5 maps (uploaded using the Custom Maps feature) and it is spot-on. Using the GNSS and multiband settings, I achieve a steady accuracy of 6 feet, more than enough for off-trail wilderness navigation. I have track recording set at one point per second.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”